Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900
Old July 22nd, 2015, 2:16 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Towing and Hauling
Print Wikipost

Increase towing capacity and safety

Search this Thread

Old April 27th, 2009, 5:10 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Increase towing capacity and safety

I have a 2008 Tahoe LT3 5.3L 4x4 and have a few questions. I will be towing in the future a larger boat in the range of 9000 pounds. Mostly local 6-10 mile trips and every once in a while a long 9-10 hour trip of flat FL roads.

I think to safely tow this I need to upgrade the truck. Here are some thoughts I have and would like your input

1) I cannot tell if I have the transmission cooler. It did not say on my window sticker. Although, I do have two radiators in the front of the truck. The standard large one and then a small one in front of it (assuming this is it). I would like to keep the tranny nice and cool, should this be a stock one, would you update it?

2) I do not have auto suspension so I will add rear air bags to level the truck. Honestly, every truck I owned I added air bags and love them!

3) The boat trailer does have 4 wheel disc brakes. I would still like to upgrade the Tahoe brakes. Probably new larger calipers and rotors in the front and new rotors in the rear. Any brand suggestions?

4) i'm thinking of supercharging the truck. They did not have a 6.0 on the lot when they were having the big sale. I'm a little worried the 5.3 might not be up to the task for 9000 pounds.

Any other input to make this a safe haul?
Old April 28th, 2009, 12:14 AM
Professional Mechanic

You're correct, the smaller radiator is the transmission cooler. You can swap this out but it's not necessary.

You can upgrade the brakes...this is not a bad idea. Try going to your local 4 Wheel Parts store. They can definitely hook you up. Check out their website to find a store that's close to you... http://www.4wheelparts.com/stores/StoreLocator.aspx

If there isn't one in your area, you should check out Brembo brakes...they make good quality braking equipment. You should get slotted brake rotors but if you get drilled, since you're going to be stopping a HUGE load, the rotors will crack under constant heating and cooling. Just going to cost you more in the long run. If you want to risk it, go for it...drilled rotors cool a whole lot faster, enabling better back to back stopping power.

If you actually go through and change the calipers, try to get the most cylinders in one caliper you can afford. You probably have 4 piston calipers right now...you would be perfectly fine with 6 piston calipers...you will stop on command from this point. May be too much but you will not have to worry with these.

Make sure when you're towing to have hefty chains hooked the the tahoes bumper just incase the hookup fails...if you don't have any you should really get a better towing kit installed.

Tow the 9,000 lb boat at your own risk...the transmission can only handle a max of around 6,000 lbs. If you're willing to spend the money on a supercharger...try seeing if you can purchase a stonger tranny...or get the one you have right now built up to handle the load. Superchargers only help the performance of the engine and the transimission goes with the flow...you can upgrade the engine but the transmission will only handle so much.
Old April 28th, 2009, 1:15 AM
Super Moderator
ROTM Coordinator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Isnt your tow package(welds & frame to hitch) rated at X amount of push/pull force too? Id be careful about that too. Sounds like an expensive upgrade if its possible to do.
Old April 28th, 2009, 9:41 AM
Professional Mechanic

Originally Posted by Mike Sigmond
Isnt your tow package(welds & frame to hitch) rated at X amount of push/pull force too? Id be careful about that too. Sounds like an expensive upgrade if its possible to do.
There is always a safe limit within the welding and hookups of the towing kit. He can reinforce the towing kit with any welder in town. Can also reinforce the manufacture's welding to the frame. As I mentioned in the last post, he should make sure he has heavy duty hooks installed into the truck, just in case the hook up to the towing kit fails...the boat will still be on the truck with the chains..plenty of damage would be done in this case but the boat won't fly to the car behind him.
Old April 28th, 2009, 9:48 AM
CF Beginner

Sad part is I always see people at the boat ramp pulling HUGE boats with Tahoes and Sequoias that they shouldn't. They think they have a big SUV and can tow the world with a stock truck.

I know the receiver hitch I have that came with the truck says its rated for 10,000 pounds. Not sure if that means Chevy made sure the welds could also.

I have the 3.73 ratio so my tow limit I believe is in the upper 7000's. I have a feeling my weak link in all this will be the tranny. But like I said, 98% of trips will be under 10 miles.

Thanks for all the input.
Old April 28th, 2009, 9:50 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by ifwechoose

Tow the 9,000 lb boat at your own risk...the transmission can only handle a max of around 6,000 lbs.

Are you sure about that? Because that is significantly lower than what the factory says for safe towing.
Old April 28th, 2009, 10:18 AM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default upgrades

add up all the costs of your upgrades + the KBB of your tahoe.... and see if that's less money than a F-250 or F-350...

yes, a ford, blasphemy. but they tow. they tow a LOT...

or stick w/the chevy, the Silverado tows what 10,000?

i was under the impression the max trailer and vehicle weight were laws, and that towing a 12,000lb trailer (for example) behind a SUV with a 9,000 lb rating means you are breaking the law... not a huge deal until you can't stop the 12k like you could with the correct vehicle, rear end a neon, and they sue you for driving that setup...

the mods seem like a great idea, and lots of fun to install... but i think you would be better off with a vehicle, suburban, expedition, excursion, F-250 that could tow what you need stock...
Old April 28th, 2009, 10:34 AM
Super Moderator
ROTM Coordinator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SabrToothSqrl

or stick w/the chevy, the Silverado tows what 10,000?
My 2500 HD is 12,000 lbs tow max.
Old April 30th, 2009, 5:16 PM
Administrator

Received 155 Likes on 153 Posts

Per the '08 sales brochure, you can tow 6,200 or 7,200 w/ the Heavy-Duty Trailering Package (Z82). You can check your option codes in the glove box label.
Old April 30th, 2009, 6:02 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by 73shark
Per the '08 sales brochure, you can tow 6,200 or 7,200 w/ the Heavy-Duty Trailering Package (Z82). You can check your option codes in the glove box label.
Excellent info. I just looked and it is in the list of codes.

Now i'm curious as to what all the other codes are

Quick Reply: Increase towing capacity and safety