Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Suspension Question - Severe Highway Bounce

Search this Thread

Old September 12th, 2012, 3:04 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suspension Question - Severe Highway Bounce

Hello - I recently purchased a 1993 K2500 Suburban with 57K miles, a true barn yard find. I'm slowly replacing worn out items.
<O</O

Last week I replaced all four shocks with brand new Monroe Sensa-Tracs and the Suburban bounces violently on the highway. This was very disappointing as I figured new shocks would iron out any bouncing due to worn out shocks. There is also some swaying (feels loose) in heavy cross wind.

<O</OCan anyone comment on potential reasons why the truck is bouncing so bad with these new shocks? Should I have gone with Bilsteins?<O</O
<O</O

Thanks.<O</O<O</O
Old September 12th, 2012, 3:45 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by cwincek
Hello - I recently purchased a 1993 K2500 Suburban with 57K miles, a true barn yard find. I'm slowly replacing worn out items.
<O</O

Last week I replaced all four shocks with brand new Monroe Sensa-Tracs and the Suburban bounces violently on the highway. This was very disappointing as I figured new shocks would iron out any bouncing due to worn out shocks. There is also some swaying (feels loose) in heavy cross wind.

<O</OCan anyone comment on potential reasons why the truck is bouncing so bad with these new shocks? Should I have gone with Bilsteins?<O</O
<O</O

Thanks.<O</O<O</O
Whats the tire's history?
Old September 12th, 2012, 5:29 PM
CF Beginner

Tires are brand new, I just had Discount Tire put on 4 new BFG ATs (factory size: 245/75/16).
Old September 14th, 2012, 8:22 PM
Administrator

Received 155 Likes on 153 Posts

Can you get them to do a road force balance and also check for out-of-round.

It's always a good idea to only change one thing at a time.
Old September 15th, 2012, 5:12 AM
Super Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cwincek
I figured new shocks would iron out any bouncing due to worn out shocks<O</O<O</O
So you're saying that this bouncing was occurring before you replaced the shocks as well ?
Old September 16th, 2012, 5:47 PM
CF Beginner

The original shocks were on the truck when I bought it, there was some bounce and being that they were 20 yrs. old (Suburban was in storage for 8-10yrs.) I decided to replace them. I didn't want to spend that much so I opted for the Monroe SensaTracs. The main symptom now is that when I hit uneven road at 40mph+ I get a bounce - I'm wondering if I need more of a heavy-duty shock, or a better quality shock (bilstein, etc...).

Thoughts?
Old September 16th, 2012, 11:04 PM
Super Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Monroe really has a good reputation. Are you sure they gave you the right ones ? Usually shocks for a 3/4t are stiffer than....ahhh
well very stiff anyway.

Blisten's are great too, but, I'd do a lookup on the part number for the ones you got. What I'm afraid of is, that if you get some "heavy duty" shocks and they really are the right ones for your Burb, that it will be an overkill if the ones you have are wrong.