Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Squealing Brakes on 2009 Tahoe

Old September 18th, 2012, 9:56 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Squealing Brakes on 2009 Tahoe

I have replaced the rear brake pads and rotors on both rear wheels on my 2009 Tahoe and I still have a squealing noise coming from the rear wheels when I apply the brakes. Any suggestions? Thanks
Old September 18th, 2012, 10:39 PM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Are you sure it the rear? What brand parts did you use?
Old September 18th, 2012, 10:47 PM
CF Beginner

I agree. Make sure it is the rear brakes. It can be very hard to tell sometimes. And honestly it seems like a Chevy trait to have squeaky brakes. Owned a 2007 impala, brakes squeaked. 2010 Malibu, brakes squeaked. 2009 HHR, brakes squeak. All with low mileage.
Old September 19th, 2012, 8:53 AM
CF Beginner

Also note that semi-metallic have a tendency to squeal. I use Ceramic and mine are very quiet.
Old September 19th, 2012, 1:13 PM
Super Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are some "remedies" you can buy that may help...

Ref:
How to Fix Squeaky Brakes: DIY Auto - Popular Mechanics
Old September 19th, 2012, 2:31 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

I second the ceramic pads and the application of an anti squeal compound applied to the BACK of the pads... also cleaning and proper lube of the caliper pins to ensure smooth and quick movement of the unit
Old September 19th, 2012, 9:49 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks to everyone for their replies. I had a local mechanic shop do the work for me. They did replace the pads twice with a different brand of pads, but I do not know the name brand. I will get that information and post it shortly. We picked the vehicle up tonight and my wife says the brakes are still squealing. I think they tried to apply the compound to the back of the pads today. I'm still pretty sure the squealing noise is coming from the rear brakes. Thaks for your answers.
Old September 20th, 2012, 7:21 AM
CF Veteran

all contact surfaces should be lubed and the rotor needs a good finish on it otherwise it'll squeak regardless of pad quality
Old September 20th, 2012, 3:09 PM
Administrator

Received 154 Likes on 152 Posts

Also they must not touch or otherwise contaminate the friction surface of the pads and rotors.
Old September 21st, 2012, 2:56 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill C.
I have replaced the rear brake pads and rotors on both rear wheels on my 2009 Tahoe and I still have a squealing noise coming from the rear wheels when I apply the brakes. Any suggestions? Thanks
<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> Bill C.,

Were you able to resolve this issue?

Please feel free to contact me privately if you have additional questions.

Louis
GM Customer Service

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Squealing Brakes on 2009 Tahoe