Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

intake manifold gasket

Search this Thread

Old August 15th, 2007, 8:14 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default intake manifold gasket

Hi, my intake manifold gasket need to be replaced on my '99 Burb 5.7L an the general dealer asked me 800 $ to replace it, so i'm thinking of doing it myself. I was just wondering if i'll be needed some special tools or if you have any advise to give me at glance.
Thanks all
Old August 16th, 2007, 7:50 AM
CF Beginner

Default RE: intake manifold gasket

I think the only thing i needed was a pully remover to take the a/c bracket off. i have a 98 k1500 and had to replace that gasket to.
Old August 16th, 2007, 2:22 PM
CF Beginner

Did you install your gasket dry or did you but some kind of gasket paste on parts ?
Old August 24th, 2007, 4:06 PM
CF Beginner

If you're doing it because of a coolant leak, you may consider changing to a Prestone type AF when you're finished. Mine leaked and was replaced 5 times, under warranty. Problem was, they banged me for an oil change ($50) each time. After the last one lasted 3 months, I flushed the heck out of the cooling system, and went with Prestone. No leaks since. By the way, it's interesting how GM doesn't recommend any system additives in one manual, but the service manual says to add the GM approved crushed almond shells to stop the leaks!!
Old August 24th, 2007, 6:32 PM
CF Beginner

Hi greenone, yes I have a coolant leak but has i can see it's just seem to leak outside, no coolant in oil yet. Are you serious about crushed almont shells ? If so were to find it ?

Old August 27th, 2007, 6:39 AM
CF Beginner

The service manual gives the GM part number. The parts counter at a Chevy dealer called it system sealer. Comes in the form of tablets, in a package with GM logo. The list of ingredients said it was crushed almond shells and turmeric. I remember seeing the "recommended dosage" listed, based on vehical, engine size and wether or not you had dual or single heaters. Combined with the Dexcool, it will take on the appearance of, well, a nasty appearance to say the least.
Old December 28th, 2007, 11:10 AM
CF Beginner

I just finished replacing intake gasket on my 99 5.7. The jobdid not require any special tools. I used the OEM replacement gasket installed dry. I used the gasket sealer included with the gasket kit for the front and rear valley surfaces. I only had to loosen and pullforward 2 or 3 inches the AC bracket after removing the AC unit and laying it over to the side. This required loosening the power steering pump, but not removing it.(from underneath) (Chilton's manual explains it)

I had to loosen and lift up the driver's side valve cover to get the intake out.

Took me 6 hours.

Make sure you mark the distributor housing and rotor locations by making reference marks somewhere. the oil pumb shaft will probably need realigning when you go to put it back.

Good luck.