Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Just bought a Tahoe, let's make this thing kickass!

Search this Thread

Old April 19th, 2014, 6:49 PM
CF Beginner

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Just bought a Tahoe, let's make this thing kickass!

Hey gents, I just bought a 1999 Chevy Tahoe K1500 (the 4dr 4x4 version).
It has the Vortec 5700 (5.7L V8) which I figure should be enough power to handle some good off roading, and being from Colorado that is a must for me.
I was honestly a little skeptical on whether I should buy a Chevy in the first place, (sorry, I'm a Ford fan boy) but this particular vehicle has a very clean engine, good interior/exterior, low miles and was pretty cheap so I bought it. All that aside let's get to the car. It already has about 16" of ground clearance right now and 26" tires (which are brand new) so I'm not gonna worry about suspension or new tires just yet. Although what I am looking to buy pretty soon is gonna be a good winch and a mount for it which is where you come in... I have about 600 to spend (but if it is something that will last longer and is made with quality I am willing to dig a little deeper into my pockets!). The vehicle's curb weight is 5,280lbs, plus 4 people at 200lbs each (800lbs), and I figure we'll have about 4-500lbs of gear as well. That puts the total weight at roughly 6,500lbs, so would a 9000lbs winch suffice or would a need to go a little bigger? Any suggestions to brands or a certain winch are welcome as well. And I'm just about clueless as far the the winch mount goes, any suggestions?

Thanks,

-Lin
Old April 19th, 2014, 8:55 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you want some more power and better fuel economy:

Cold air intake, thin throttle body butterfly (huge restrictor installed from factory), ummm, dual exhaust?
Old April 23rd, 2014, 5:50 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

a 9k winch will work, especially if you use a block and tackle and double back your line.
It has been a long time since I wheeled, but Warn has always been a go to and was reasonable in the day, but now damn those things are $$$$$$$ . Just make sure you get metal gears, there are some winches out there that have plastic gears , Why the Fk would anyone do that.... get some nice highlighters budget daylighters from KC highlights used to be 29 bucks mount them on a roof rack bar. just remember to take the covers off them before using hahaha. as far as a mount, I would go to a metal fabricator have a custom bumper made with a spot for the winch and some driving lights in place behind some expanded steel covers so the lens do not get broken.