Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Strange noise in 08 Burb

Search this Thread

Old December 31st, 2008, 5:11 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Strange noise in 08 Burb

I have an 08 LTZ burb and about every 3 starts, there's a noise that comes from the driver side rear quarter panel. Sounds the same as when the automatic liftgate is coming down. Of course, it won't do it at the dealership when I try to have the tech guys listen to it. Anyone have any ideas? The sound lasts for about 5 seconds and sounds like a small motor/servo of some type. I can't seem to find any diagrams about what kind of motor or servo would be in the driver rear quarterpanel, but my guesses are 1. autolift captain chair 2nd row, 2. the power liftgate, or 3. the air ride suspension. Pls help!
Old January 2nd, 2009, 9:23 AM
CF Beginner

Default RE: Strange noise in 08 Burb

I don't know for sure, but my guess it is the air suspension leveling the rear of the vehicle. I have had a 2005, 2007 and now a 2009 and all have that motor sound when you start the vechicle on occasions. To see if this really is the sound you are inquiring about, load some weight in the back of the vehicle and turn on the key. The vehicle should start a compressor in the rear to level the vehicle...you should hear the sound.The leveler does not start until you turn on the key.

Good Luck.
Old January 3rd, 2009, 9:01 AM
CF Beginner

Have the same "motor" noise in my 08 LT. Sounds like its in the dash.
Old January 4th, 2009, 2:28 PM
CF Beginner

ORIGINAL: jbar

I don't know for sure, but my guess it is the air suspension leveling the rear of the vehicle. I have had a 2005, 2007 and now a 2009 and all have that motor sound when you start the vechicle on occasions. To see if this really is the sound you are inquiring about, load some weight in the back of the vehicle and turn on the key. The vehicle should start a compressor in the rear to level the vehicle...you should hear the sound.The leveler does not start until you turn on the key.

Good Luck.
suburbans dont have air suspension
Old January 4th, 2009, 8:27 PM
CF Beginner

jbar is right, i_keyser is wrong, the LTZ comes standard with "autoride" self-leveling suspension. When you hook up a trailer or load weight in the back a small compressor kicks on and inflates the air shocks to level the vehicle. If you hear this every time you may have a small leak in the system since I rarely hear mine unless I have hooked up my trailer or have a car full of people. Hope this answers your question.