Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Knocking in sterring/front end

Search this Thread

Old January 4th, 2009, 4:30 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Knocking in sterring/front end

I have a 2004 Tahoe, I am getting a knocking in the sterring/front end while turning. I knowthere was a service bulliten when it was under warranty, but I can not remeber what they did to correct it. I think it may have been something in the sterring intermidiate shaft??? And had something to do withre-packing it with grease. I am pretty handy with working on this kind of stuff, but need a little help on this one. Can anyone tell me were it is located in the sterring system and what the steps might be to correct the problem.

Thanks!
Old January 4th, 2009, 6:23 PM
Administrator

Received 154 Likes on 152 Posts
Default RE: Knocking in sterring/front end

Welcome to the Tahoe forum. I just had my wife's 2004 Tahoe that had the problem w/ the intermediate coupler. Since it was out of warranty, I figured it would cost me $100 to $200 but since GM had come up w/ a new design, they did it for free. Said it was customer appreciation. I didn't buy the truck there although I did buy my '07 there. Don't know if you can get the same deal or not.
Old January 4th, 2009, 9:52 PM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Knocking in sterring/front end

Do you feel it in the steering column? If so most likely it is the steering shaft. You need to have a steering and suspension evaluation, if everthing is tight it is the shaft (prove all else is good). I see this quite often on GM cars and trucks. The service procedure for the tahoe has been changed from lube the shaft to replacing it. There are actually 2 shafts when I called for parts on the last one we did at my shop the parts guy told me there is a bulletin for knocking on both shafts. He said they replace both of them,