Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Long Distance Boat Towing issues - need new truck?

Search this Thread

Old March 25th, 2013, 8:27 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My friend has a f150 with the 5.4. Ford sets these motors up so that have a LOT of low end torque, so they can lug down in gear. This is why fords don't rev up like Chevys The 5.3 is not set up for bunch of low end so it needs to rev up. But once it revs up they haul pretty good.

But a Chevy easily can out run a ford because fords do not haul good at higher rpms. They don't have as good acceleration as Chevys.
Old March 25th, 2013, 11:12 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Joe In NY
But a Chevy easily can out run a ford because fords do not haul good at higher rpms. They don't have as good acceleration as Chevys.
There's a lot I don't know about Fords, but customarily, when you have the ability to rev, you can carry lower gears, which would improve acceleration. From what numbers I do know about Ford, Chevy usually is a slightly shorter stroke engine (cube for cube).
Old March 25th, 2013, 2:51 PM
CF Senior Member

yes, chevy uses a bigger bore than ford and smaller stroke, this is how you get high end power, that what dodge does for their 5.7 Hemi. They haul @ss when they get above 4 grand, esecially with a shift tuner that holds the gears to almost 7 grand. they haul real nice, but as for lugging down in gear, no where near as good as Ford, I know this cause my friend who has the ford just went from a Dodge 5.7 Hemi to ford 5.4. the 5.4 hauls nice when its lugging down in gear, but doesn't haul as good as my Suburban when the revs are high.

(We live out in the country, PLENTY of roads for um "testing". haha)
Old August 13th, 2015, 8:53 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I tow my 35 foot searay with a 2003 3500 Silverado and I Never have any issues. My truck is a beast , I barely feel the trailer on the back. I had it towed once when I moved to South Florida with a company Long Distance Boat Towing