Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Looking at a 2008 Suburban 2500 and need some guidance

Search this Thread

Old March 21st, 2016, 9:55 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking at a 2008 Suburban 2500 and need some guidance

Hey guys and gals. I am looking at an 08 Suburban 2500. It's fully loaded with 4x4 and 3LT package. Has about 160k miles and is in descent shape aside from some mechanical woes that I am prepared to take on. My questions is this (and I know which forum I am in here): I currently am running a 2001 Suburban 2500 with the 8.1L. It too is 4x4 and fully loaded out. Truck has 260k miles and is not only reliable but also in excellent mechanical shape.

I use my sub for occasional heavy towing, occasional off road at a camp site and pulling the family around when the in-laws are in town. I am debating whether to buy fix and keep vs. buy fix and sell this 2008. If i keep it, I would likely sell the 01. Just don't know if I would kick myself for selling it. That is what I am trying to avoid.

Lemme know your thoughts. Particularly interested in hearing from folks that have experience with both!

Thanks,
Scott
Old March 22nd, 2016, 7:50 AM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I guess it depends on the mechanical woes. The 2500 series trucks seem difficult to find, and brings their value up. What engine does the 08 have? How is the interior? How is the exterior? What is the gearing and towing capacity?? That last one is probably the biggest deciding factor.

It seems that the older trucks if kept in good shape run longer than the newer ones. Personally I like the newer "look". That said, I bought my 07 with more miles than your 08, and its in the 220's now running good imo, knock on wood. It's not the best thing on gas mileage, but I doubt either of yours is much better.
Old March 22nd, 2016, 2:13 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

I have the exact truck you're describing. It has 150k miles on it.

I also had an '01, but it was the half-ton.

If it's strictly for towing, I'd say the '01 would be better.

But for every other facet of ownership, the '08 is the better truck. The 6.0 is not the big bruiser like the 8.1, but I've towed an 8600-lb trailer with my family aboard, making our GCW 16,340 lbs (weighed at a CAT scales). The truck handled the weight beautifully on a 1,000 mile trip around the Upper Peninsula of Michigan.

I bought the '08 three years ago with 100k on the odometer. In that time, I've probably logged 15,000 miles of heavy towing, some frame-scraping fourwheeling in Moab and Colorado, and I generally drive it like I stole it. It's needed nothing besides regular maintenance. The only unscheduled repair was $20 for a purge solenoid, something I replaced myself. This has easily been the best, most reliable truck I've ever owned.

You get much nicer goodies on the newer truck - remote start, quad heated seats, remote power tumbling middle row, power tailgate, reverse sensing and backup camera, automatic wipers, etc. The 3LT makes it almost as nice as an Escalade. And the backup camera makes hitching up a stupid-easy one-man show. No more spotters.

A few of the things I pull....
Name:  20150730_104628_zpsn6uena4v.jpg
Views: 231
Size:  245.3 KB

Name:  rig_zpscae68cbb.jpg
Views: 217
Size:  55.1 KB

Name:  drop%201_zps1hksxvxr.jpg
Views: 299
Size:  97.9 KB

Last edited by intheburbs; March 22nd, 2016 at 2:18 PM.