Go Back   Chevrolet Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums > Current Chevy Trucks, SUV's, Crossovers & Vans > Tahoe & Suburban
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Register Photos FAQ Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read GarageUsed CarsVendors TSB & Recalls
Search
Welcome to Chevrolet Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums

Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-30-2010, 09:03 AM
CF Beginner

Default Losing Oil

I have a 2007 Tahoe LTZ 5.3 and in between oil changes I lose between 1-2 quarts of oil. I'm not burning it and it's not leaking anywhere. I am using a high quality oil has anyone else had this problem? Does anyone know what the cause could be?
Register today for free or log-in if already registered to remove this ad!
Old 01-30-2010, 09:12 AM
CF Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatdreamer369 View Post
I have a 2007 Tahoe LTZ 5.3 and in between oil changes I lose between 1-2 quarts of oil. I'm not burning it and it's not leaking anywhere. I am using a high quality oil has anyone else had this problem? Does anyone know what the cause could be?
Well, it seems to be going somewhere

It really comes down to three choices...

1. It is leaking externally and you have not noticed it. Maybe it only happens at speed, or it collects in a frame rail and doesn't get cleaned out until you are driving. IMO, this is an unlikely situation.
2. It is leaking into your coolant. Although, I believe that you would have noticed many other problems if you had 2 quarts of oil leak into your coolant. However, you should still visually check your coolant to see if it is contaminated.
3. Your engine is leaking internally, i.e. burning oil. It may be burning so little that you don't notice it or maybe it only burns on startup from overnight valve leakdown. This is the most likely scenario. From the other posts I have seen here, there seem to be other reports of the 5.3 losing oil and no one seems to have found the cause.
Old 01-30-2010, 09:56 AM
CF Beginner

Thank you going to chango oil today.
Old 01-30-2010, 12:37 PM
Super Moderator
1995 Chevrolet Silverado 1500

could just be useing it.. and i dont mean burning it. all vehicals use it. change your oil and check on i in about 4k miles it'll be a quart low maybe 2.

"As I lay rubber down the street, I pray for traction I can keep, but if I spin and begin to slide, please dear God protect my ride." -Amen

Quote:
Originally Posted by RacerX View Post
. Yukon doesnt have the same familial feel as "I was in a Jimmy pulling hogs"
Old 02-07-2010, 12:45 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotstylez View Post
could just be useing it.. and i dont mean burning it. all vehicals use it. change your oil and check on i in about 4k miles it'll be a quart low maybe 2.
Maybe if it has a 100K+ miles on it or hasn't been maintained. If you're using 2 qts in 4K mi, you've got a problem. Unless you're talking about a hi-perf engine w/ loose tolerances.
2010 Sheer Silver Tahoe LTZ (all options but sunroof, power boards), GM (body color flaps, rear console, 3rd row mat, 2-Way Remote, chrome gas door, Esky rack), Eagle Eye LED tails, SLP dual tip exhaust, Silver bow-ties/rear wiper, Catch-All mats, AlphaTherm washer fluid heater, Putco chrome mirror covers, silver calipers, board chrome trim, tint, GMPP Major Guard

2007 Black Tahoe LTZ (Sold),
(GM flaps-$15, Lund Step Tubes-$80-For Sale)
Old 02-11-2010, 08:29 PM
CF Beginner

could be like nissans 2.5l that burns it up in the cat conv. , you never see any externally. problem comes when conv plugs. oil has to somewhere ??
Old 02-12-2010, 10:23 PM
CF Beginner

according to generel motor it is acceptable or "normal" to use /burn a quart of oil every 1200 miles before it is considered excessive
Old 02-13-2010, 12:44 PM
Administrator

And they wonder why GM went bankrupt.

If a new engine still burns a qt/1200 after 1K mi., it's got a problem. May not get any worse but somewhere there's something wrong like rings that didn't seat properly or bad valve seals.
2010 Sheer Silver Tahoe LTZ (all options but sunroof, power boards), GM (body color flaps, rear console, 3rd row mat, 2-Way Remote, chrome gas door, Esky rack), Eagle Eye LED tails, SLP dual tip exhaust, Silver bow-ties/rear wiper, Catch-All mats, AlphaTherm washer fluid heater, Putco chrome mirror covers, silver calipers, board chrome trim, tint, GMPP Major Guard

2007 Black Tahoe LTZ (Sold),
(GM flaps-$15, Lund Step Tubes-$80-For Sale)
Old 07-28-2013, 02:34 PM
CF Beginner

this is a long time since thread started, but was looking at stuff and noticed that you had same problem. i have 2007 suburban 5.3 and was losing oil like crazy. no drips on pavements. put truck up and got under and what do you know. the oil filter was just a little loose. when it was traveling down road, it leaked. tightened it right up and problem solved. the filter is in a very tight spot and hard to tighten without the loop, or bandlike tightener tool. later on i noticed the problem again. i had gripped the oil filter too tight with the filter wrench, and put a pinhole leak in it. now im very very careful. ha ha. so i can see how this would be very easy to make this mistake and think its engine trouble. good luck.
Old 07-28-2013, 03:15 PM
Administrator
2007 Chevrolet Tahoe

bigboy Welcome to the forum
Old 07-28-2013, 03:15 PM

Tags
03, 2007, 53, burning, burns, chev, chevrolet, chevy, loosing, losing, lumina, oil, oill, suburban, tahoe