Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

low oil light - stop engine but oil level OK

Search this Thread

Old November 1st, 2013, 6:11 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy low oil light - stop engine but oil level OK

this started a couple of days ago. No engine sounds, all of the sudden "low oil -stop engine" warning comes on. Turned off car, checked oil- oil level was just fine, started it again, message was gone, but check engine light came. Pep Boys said to go to dealership, cause they don't think is the sensor. Started car today, no oil warning light, just check engine light is on. oil pressure at 40, then started driving went down to 20 and it lowered to 10 when at stop light. This afternoon the low oil level-stop the car message came on again. Stopped the car, checked oil level (was ok), but I noticed that there was a bit smokey by oil cap, then again it could have been from when I dropped some oil thinking that I neeeded some. Waited a little bit, started again, oil light is not on, just check engine light. I've read the forums and it could be the seals, the sensor, the oil pump, or change the oil and change the filter, so it could be from $30 to $1,000 job. Can't take the car in until Monday, so I need some help right now.
Old November 3rd, 2013, 11:52 AM
CF Junior Member

Make/Model/Year would help. But it could be oil level sensor/pressure sensor or it could be wiring issue. Also can be oil pump aerating oil. You'll have to take it in to dealer. Only way of knowing for sure.
Old November 4th, 2013, 8:25 AM
CF Beginner

It's a 07 suburban, 4x4, 1500
Old November 4th, 2013, 9:56 AM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

cdcpedroso,

Have you had a chance to drop your Suburban off to the dealership? If you would like some assistance, please do not hesitate to reach out via private message.

Erica Tiffany
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old November 4th, 2013, 11:31 PM
CF Junior Member

Best start is a fresh oil change and monitor oil pressure as you are doing. If it still drops I'd take it in for sure. I'd be thinking a pickup or oil pump problem aerating oil.
Old November 5th, 2013, 6:03 PM
CF Beginner

I took it in to dealership and they replaced the oil sending unit. So far so good -- "cross fingers"
Old November 5th, 2013, 7:27 PM
CF Junior Member

Glad they fixed that for you. I've never seen those fail like that where they gradually show a decline in oil pressure. I just learned something too then and have other things to keep in mind when and if ever one like this comes through dealer.
Old November 5th, 2013, 8:20 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by cdcpedroso
I took it in to dealership and they replaced the oil sending unit. So far so good -- "cross fingers"
We appreciate the update, and glad to hear your dealership was able to fix this. Keep us posted and if you would like our assistance in the future feel free to send us a PM.

Amber N.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old March 21st, 2017, 10:20 AM
CF Beginner

Default help please

Originally Posted by cdcpedroso
How much did this cost? Thanks!
Old March 27th, 2017, 8:58 AM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I too wonder what they would charge. I replaced my sensor myself, and the part was about $30 I think, and not the easiest thing to do. I spent about 2 hours on it. If I did it again I could probably do in an hour. But it would be interesting to know what a dealer would get for this.

Quick Reply: low oil light - stop engine but oil level OK