Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Low Oil Pressure

Search this Thread

Old February 12th, 2016, 3:43 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Low Oil Pressure

hi everyone !
ok i had the intake manifold gasket (water leak) done last week (had greatOil Pressure before that)
then after that i now have Low Oil Pressure
i change the senor and the switch and did a oil change seem to help for about 4 miles then back again to the same 0 Oil Pressure or very low any ider's
Old February 12th, 2016, 9:04 AM
CF Active Member

Did you clean the screen below the oil pressure sending unit?? They get clogged.
Old February 12th, 2016, 11:12 AM
CF Monarch

Received 336 Likes on 317 Posts

You need to resolve this before you ruin the engine!! You can try a mechanical gauge to see if you really have low oil pressure or if it is a gauge issue. More than likely something happened with the intake gaskets were changed. Take it back to the mechanic.
Old February 12th, 2016, 11:37 PM
CF Veteran

possible that some debris got where it shouldn't have and is clogging the system up
Old March 12th, 2016, 11:32 PM
CF Beginner

Unhappy I dropped a small curved pik shaft down my oil sending unit

Hello.
I desperately need some advice. I thought my 2005 Z71 had that darn screen below the oil sending unit. I bent a small screw driver and tried for two days pulling up on what I thought was the edge of the filter screen. I now know I was pulling up on the edge of the aluminum transducer fitting down in the oil sending unit tube. Anyway...the handle came off the end of my pik and the pik shaft fell straight down the hole into the engine block. I looked at a schematic and looks like that hole splits at the oil gallery. There are two holes (one small and one larger). My pik shaft continued down from the top of the oil sending unit to the oil gallery and then down into the smaller hole. I think that small hole goes straight down to the top of my crankshaft main bearing. I've tried and tried to get this pik out with a borescope and and number of magnets and wires. I took off my transmission and my oil pan. I am still not able to reach far enough down into this hole from the backside of the block to get this tool out. I think the tool is wedged somehow at the bottom. I'm guessing its sitting on the top of the cranshift top bearing. Does anybody know if I can get to this tool from the oil pan access. I have a friend coming over Monday that knows alot more about engines than me. I sure don't want to have to take my engine out of this truck if anything else is possible to retrieve that tool. Please give advice.
Thanks,
Art
Attached Thumbnails Low Oil Pressure-113_0504_block07_z_zpsvhqiyfpy.jpg  
Old March 14th, 2016, 5:15 PM
CF Active Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

My sons 07 Tahoe was also reading low oil pressure@120k. Read different posts on forum. Stealership wanted $400+ stating intake manifold removal needed. Some said this wasn't needed. Changed switch and cleaned screen in 1/2hr. Smaller hands and bending plastic heat shield out of way helped. Instead of pick I used a 5/16 or 3/8 dia. bolt and GENTLY threaded it into screen to pull it out. Cleaned partially clogged screen with brake cleaner and installed new sender and problem solved. I could do them all day long for $400+.LOL Hope this helps.

Old March 14th, 2016, 7:36 PM
CF Veteran

if only the techs actually got that much ha
Old March 17th, 2016, 5:43 PM
CF Beginner

Default Low oil pressure

I was getting a low oil pressure reading at idle and it would come up to 40lbs after warm up. We decided it was the oil pump. After removing the old pump it was determined a bad o-ring was the problem. Max oil pressure now.
2001 Tahoe with 250,000 mi.