Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Lowered 07 Tahoe ( Rough Ride ) ??

Old June 20th, 2007, 8:31 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Lowered 07 Tahoe ( Rough Ride ) ??

I too have used the mcghy's 2/3 kit on my LTZ.
As I have stated before, the rear dropped alot farther than 3", I had to open up the rods for the rear air rides to get the truck back to level, but the ride was certainly sacrificed.
Same as you, very harsh around town. I figured the airshocks were pumped up too far, so I tried a set of Daystar 3/4" spacers on top of rear springs, hoping to take a little load off the shocks,it did not change the ride height one bit, and the jury is still out on the ride quality, maybe a little bit better.
I wonder if anyone else has a better rear spring thatwill still drop a couple inches.
Good luck, I feel your pain.
Old June 20th, 2007, 8:36 PM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had about 3 different kits. Each time I made the purchae I would heara horror story. I would sell the kit.

I would hear others that would say it wasnt bad, so i thought I was ready to buy another kit. As soon as I would get another kit I would hear another horror story. This went on 3 times.

I finally just decided to not lower the Tahoe. Keep in mind I have 24's. My wife complained enough about the ride quality when I switched to 24's. I can only imagine her complaining if I lowered it also! Sorry I cant help.

RSTahoe (i think this is the right member name) and Biggmon also lowered theirs with the McGaughys kit and didnt act like it was to bad???
Old June 20th, 2007, 11:33 PM
Administrator

Received 154 Likes on 152 Posts

I've always wondered if a progressive rate spring would alleviate this problem any.
Old June 21st, 2007, 8:51 AM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The OEM springs are progressive (aka: variable rate) and I believe that most aftermarket lowering kits include these as well.

Old June 21st, 2007, 12:50 PM
CF Junior Member

Good looking hoe. Here's my wifey's LTZ with the same kit:[/align][/align][/align][/align][/align]Pretty dang similar!! I have noticed it is a bit "bouncier" in the back, but I wouldn't say that ours is much harsher. You did get the shock extensions, right? Maybe if you bend the links just a bit more it will take some more air out of the shocks and make it a little bit smoother. Just an idea.[/align]
Old June 21st, 2007, 4:47 PM
Administrator

Received 154 Likes on 152 Posts

Looks sharp! Wished I could find one that's been done and ride in it. I know just from the engineering aspect that it will have to be stiffer.
Old June 21st, 2007, 5:32 PM
CF Beginner

Nice looking ride Freyguy.. Identical to mine..

I am just gonna leave it be for now unless she keeps complaining.. Hopefully she will pay more attention to where she is driving,, and try to avoid hittiing all the holes in stead of aiming for them..
Old June 22nd, 2007, 1:57 AM
CF Junior Member

Looks really good! I just placed a GMC running board I've found here:http://www.wholesalegparts.com/gmc-running-board/

I'm alsoplanning tp do other mods like lowering it, maybe next month.
Old July 25th, 2007, 1:24 AM
CF Beginner

i used the same kit on mine and didn't notice a huge change in ride quality. im running a bigger wheel/tire combo and the shop who installed recommended a specific tire to help with a smooth ride. i was going to go with pirellis and i actually took a ride in a similar vehicle with the pirellis and it was harsh. i went with toyo proxes s/t and mine still rides nice!

[IMG]local://upfiles/10028/0EEE885330F9472BAA48493DF5F94E8E.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/10028/4412EE00DD7F49EB9EEAB6F68D435E30.jpg[/IMG]
Old July 25th, 2007, 8:01 AM
CF Active Member

Yep..Kamikaze...kind of surprised you are asking...didn't you ask this previously and everyone advised that it would ride rougher....in fact, I believe I stated, "It will ride like a skateboard". It does look AWESOME and I wish my old butt could take the ride (ripe old age of 35) or I would do it also...I lowered my '01 with a 2/3 and living in the city where the roads are pretty rough, I regretted it after about 6 months (and this was when I was 28)...especially when people in the back seat would literally almost bounce off the headliner..hehe. It looks good, I just hope everytime you hit a bump, you don't 'get it' from the wife. I guess it's true that wisdom comes with age...I have learned that good looks and comfort don't always go together and that keeping the wife happy FAR outways having a 'pimp looking ride'...hehe...but again, looks swwwweeeeeettt!!! I wish I could just drop the back end about 3/4" to level it with front end, but I don't know of any easy way to do this with an LTZ and autoride....

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Lowered 07 Tahoe ( Rough Ride ) ??