Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Misfiring cylinder

Search this Thread

Old August 23rd, 2014, 11:27 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Attached is a photo of the failed valve. The arrow points to the failure.
Thanks - Drew
Attached Thumbnails Misfiring cylinder-valve.jpg  
Old August 23rd, 2014, 12:52 PM
Administrator

Received 154 Likes on 152 Posts

It looks like the end of the pushrod failed and now the pushrod end is mushroomed. You will need to back off the rocker arm nut and remove the old push rod and install a new one. Then you have to tighten the rocker arm nut the same number of turns has when you loosened it.

Of all the things it could have been, this is probably the easiest repair. Make sure the new push rod is the same length as the old one.
Old August 24th, 2014, 7:19 AM
CF Beginner

I got a new pushrods, drilled out the old pushrod ball from the rocker arm (no idea how that thing got wedged in there like it did), reinstalled the pushrod and rocker arm, put everything back together and started the vehicle. It started and everything felt good. Connected up the diagnostic tool and no codes were found. I wanted to end the day on a high note so I shut everything down. I'll take a test drive today. Hopefully this solve the problem but not overly confident. Thanks everyone for the assistance!
Old August 24th, 2014, 10:55 AM
CF Veteran

Received 203 Likes on 177 Posts

So you drilled the rocker arm? Think I would be replacing that part as well if that's the case.
Old August 24th, 2014, 11:09 AM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

I have to question why the rod got damaged like that?
Was the rocker arm seized ?
That damage looks like repeated hammering on a surface that was not moving...
I am glad you got it fixed, I would revisit in about 500-1000 miles with a valve cover removal and inspect those items again for a follow up...

Thanks for the photo
Old August 24th, 2014, 11:56 AM
CF Beginner

I agree with replacing the rocker arm as the first choice but I couldn't find one at the local auto parts stores (unless you buy a $200 kit which i didnt want to do until i knew this actually fixed the priblem) and the local Pick and Pull didn't have any suburbans or silverados on their inventory, which I find hard to believe. A little tungsten drill bit and I got through the stainless ball easily.
I agree that I may have just treated a symptom and not the problem, but you have to start somewhere. I'm definitely skeptical that this is over.
Old August 24th, 2014, 2:23 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by drew1
I agree that I may have just treated a symptom and not the problem, but you have to start somewhere. I'm definitely skeptical that this is over.
That is a good attitude and place to start
Old August 24th, 2014, 5:46 PM
Administrator

One possibility is a clogged pushrod prevented the tip from oiling and caused it then to fuse to the rocker arm.
Old August 25th, 2014, 7:19 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by 73shark
One possibility is a clogged pushrod prevented the tip from oiling and caused it then to fuse to the rocker arm.
I think you might be right on that... if that is the case then the lifter is going to need to be replaced...
Old August 25th, 2014, 8:08 PM
Administrator

I doubt it has any bearing on the problem but #7 is one of the four cylinders that the AFM shuts down.

Quick Reply: Misfiring cylinder