Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

MPG Loss to Thule? & Running Boards

Search this Thread

Old February 9th, 2014, 6:38 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MPG Loss to Thule? & Running Boards

Anyone have any good experience with how MPG changes when the put on a Thule or some other roof pod? and what about the ever popular running boards, anyone know if they make much difference?

98 2500 burb W 454
Old February 9th, 2014, 6:41 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well think about it, you now have a huge bulge on top of your car that the wind is now hitting. Imagine the winds when cruising down the highway @ 70 mph...

Its the same reason it took another 200 hp to go from 258 to 268. Air at high speeds is like a wall... (Top Gear)
Old February 10th, 2014, 9:26 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

The general rule of thumb I've seen is that you're going to lose 10-15% mileage with one of those things on your roof. Besides, you're driving a big-block 3/4 ton burb - it's not exactly a mileage champ in the first place.
Old February 11th, 2014, 12:16 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe In NY
Well think about it, you now have a huge bulge on top of your car that the wind is now hitting. Imagine the winds when cruising down the highway @ 70 mph...

Its the same reason it took another 200 hp to go from 258 to 268. Air at high speeds is like a wall... (Top Gear)
I am familiar with that, 8X the power to double the speed.
we mess around on occasion out on the bonneville salt flats, so we are aware of the monster. but in a practical "suburban" world, I'm not sure how much of that makes much measurable difference.

I don't have the formula with me, but it's dependant on Coefficent of drag (CD) Multiplied by Frontal area.

so if you take one of those luggage pods with 3 sq ft of frontal area, and it should have a very good CD - on a Prius, it is going to make measurable differences. But that same pod on a suburban, with maybe 40 - 45 ft of frontal area, and a CD of a gigantic brick, I'm not so sure whatever drag there was from the pod would not be lost in the noise and enormity of the Suburban numbers.

Thats why I am hoping someone has real experience and real numbers.