Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

My 2007 Tahoe has a problem with the auto rear hatch...

Search this Thread

Old September 24th, 2010, 1:56 AM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My 2007 Tahoe has a problem with the auto rear hatch...

The first thing I notice is it wouldn't come up until I hit the button the second time. The first time it would start to come up about 6 inches and then go back down. The second time in most cases it comes up. I found the molding had come loose on the top near the window where it surrounds the rod that does the lifting. It doesn't even seem like there's enough clearance to really allow that rod complete freedom even when I snap the modling back in. My car still has a GM extended warranty for 3000 miles. I'm hoping this is covered.

Also I always have water on the carpet near the right side as you open up the rear door following rain. Can't seem to tell where it's coming from.

Any thoughts?

Thanks for the fine answers I got here last time I had problems.

Gary
Old September 24th, 2010, 9:57 AM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

I'm guessing you have the auto lift gate? it may be that the lift assist gas springs or struts may be weak and need to be replaced and the motor can't overcome the weight...
try lubing up the weather strip with silicone rubber lube to help form a better seal and to keep the seal from sticking to the gate
Old September 24th, 2010, 10:46 AM
Administrator

Received 155 Likes on 153 Posts

If you still have warranty left, I'd suggest getting it in to get the problems on record. That way if there still there after expiration, you have a leg to stand on to get it fixed.
Old September 24th, 2010, 2:20 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

You know I wish we could get a clearer understanding of that as I have also heard that any warranty repairs done have their own "new" warranty period of typically a 12/12....
And I agree reporting it should give some grounds should it come back at a later non-warranty period date.
Old September 24th, 2010, 9:05 PM
CF Active Member

I just returned from the dealer. The lift sheared an attachement pin that had to be retapped. Not sure what that means as far as what was the reason it happened but it is fixed. Any thoughts to whether it's fixed for good or is this something likely to be going out again? I'm hoping that something must have gotten caught in the door one time and caused a problem.

Any thoughts to the price it would cost to fix the auto mechanism if it goes out under warranty would be appreciated. The writer said when he looked it up that the most expensive part of the entire thing was around $3000.00 which seemed really outrageous but he told me before I left tonight that he thought there had to be a mistake there. Any other expert know how expensive this might be?

Thanks.. Gary
Old September 24th, 2010, 10:04 PM
Administrator

Could they tell if there was any connection to the molding problem?

Was this a mounting point that broke or some type of shear pin that's designed to fail?
The gate should reverse if it hits something when either opening or closing.
Old September 24th, 2010, 10:32 PM
CF Active Member

They really didn't give me any answer on it. I can see the molding fits it perfectly now that it's in the place it's supposed to be so the molding didn't cause it. Like you said though I wonder about the reverse mechanism safety. Of course there are objects that sort of roll up in the door as it's closing and get tighter as it closes and when it tries to reverse there's quite a bit of bumping to get itself freed. Not really sure. Hopefully one of the mechanics on here sees this and can further enlighten us.

Does anyone know what the motor is called that actually powers the lift so I can start checking prices?

I don't think it was a pin that was designed to fail as they had to re-tap it.

Thanks.. Gary

Last edited by guvner; September 24th, 2010 at 10:36 PM. Reason: Spelling error... and omission of an answer to previous question..
Old September 25th, 2010, 12:54 AM
Administrator

You can check w/ your dealer's parts dept for the motor P/N and then check gmpartsdirect online.

Confused about what you mean about "objects that sort of roll up in the door as it's closing" and "there's quite a bit of bumping to get itself freed". Are you referring to the normal sounds or something abnormal?
Old September 25th, 2010, 8:55 AM
CF Active Member

Shark,

I've had a few things get caught in there that required me to get it open. Maybe about 2 or 3 times. Rubbery things that rolled up as it closed and then I had trouble getting it open. Next time it happens I'll kind of note what it was that caused the problem and post it. Sorry for being sketchy...

Gary