Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

03 Tahoe storage isssues

Old January 6th, 2013, 9:23 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 03 Tahoe storage isssues

I recently got a 03 Tahoe with 3rd row seats. By the time I get all six of us into it, there is virtually no storage space left. I mean none. I’d hoped to take it on our family trips. It’s so comfortable to drive and the kids love it, but we have no place to put any luggage. I’ve never used the racks on top of a vehicle and wonder how it works and if it provides much extra storage space. I appreciate and look forward to any tips or pics of how you get around this problem. Thanks & happy New Year!
Old January 6th, 2013, 11:47 PM
Administrator

Received 154 Likes on 152 Posts

An easier solution is get one of those carriers that fits in to the tow receiver. You can get just a platform and bungee the luggage to it or one w/ a lockable box on it.

The reason I prefer the hitch mount vs the roof is that accessing the roof mounted carrier w/o a step ladder is difficult. They also make poor mpg abysmal.

I take it that you didn't notice the minimal storage space behind the third row. You can get a few pieces of luggage back there and soft side luggage is easier.
Old January 9th, 2013, 7:28 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone tried one of these and if so could you fit luggage in it?

Old January 9th, 2013, 9:51 PM
Administrator

I borrowed one of these and it works well if you put your stuff in trash bags cuz hard side luggage doesn't fit well. And you still have the access problem.
Old January 10th, 2013, 10:06 AM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

I have that Thule and we love it and yes you do need to put your items that go in the very front in bags... I use large 3 gallon zip lock bags for our sleeping bags and shoes and the like...
Its actually on the truck in my profile picture...
Old January 10th, 2013, 10:27 AM
Administrator

I have not noticed any noticeable change in MPG with my Thule, it does get an oscillation to it in cross winds at higher speeds, but slowing down resolves it and again it only happens with high cross winds....the best way to describe it is a porpoising motion... I haven't experimented enough with it to see if moving the crossrails further apart would help...
For access I stand on the rear tire or the running board... I know that this may not seem optimal but we only put items that will need access at the end points of trips.
We use duffle bag style luggage so it form fits... the inside of the carrier has straps for skis the one thing I don't like but totally understand the reason for it is that when you unlock the carrier, which by the way can be opened from either side, you can not remove the key until it is closed and locked.

Oh and the main reason for the roof top mount one is we pull a camper, so the receiver type carrier didn't work for us, and we use a receiver type bike carrier too...
I got mine off of Craigslist..

Last edited by in2pro; January 10th, 2013 at 10:31 AM.
Old January 10th, 2013, 11:31 AM
Super Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a Sears Carrier for my Burb. I can get hard Luggage in it, but, it's a bit taller then the one shown in the picture. And yes, I have to store a short folding stool/ladder where I can get up and load it. IF you use a folding Ladder to access yours, you can fit some of that Pipe Insulation (round/foam) on the areas which might contact your ride. ie: protection from skinning the paint.

Also, I mount my Carrier well back on the Rack, and from what I see in the picture, I can see why that placement would cause you to loose MPG. You need to get a more "aerodynamic" profile to get the wind to move over the carrier.

Just IMHO, if you get a Carrier, don't worry about MPG, with it up there, you're going to loose any way you go. SO, get something that works good and carries what you need to put up there. Believe me, having the convenience is well worth a MPG or two.

Last edited by SWHouston; January 10th, 2013 at 11:34 AM.
Old January 10th, 2013, 11:52 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by SWHouston
Just IMHO, if you get a Carrier, don't worry about MPG, with it up there, you're going to loose any way you go. SO, get something that works good and carries what you need to put up there. Believe me, having the convenience is well worth a MPG or two.
Well said that pretty much sums it up....

I open up the rear hatch and push the Thule to within a 1/4 inch of contact so as to get the most aerodynamic profile as SWHouston stated...
Old January 10th, 2013, 4:35 PM
Super Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The link below is a newer version of the one I have. Mine is a little bit more "square" But, mine is the same size, 18 cu ft.

X-Cargo Car Top Carrier : Best Offers on Roof Top Carriers at Sears

HA, it's like having another Burb sitting on top of the one with wheels

PS in2pro:
Your kind words are greatly appreciated.
Old January 10th, 2013, 8:59 PM
Administrator

I had one of those Sears carriers on a trip and thought I was dragging an anchor. Almost as bad as pulling one of those small U-Haul trailers.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 03 Tahoe storage isssues