Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

My engine hour meter resets itself!

Search this Thread

Old April 17th, 2011, 11:51 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My engine hour meter resets itself!

This seems odd to me. I bought my '05 Yukon XL 2500 in December. It seems that the hour meter in the DIC resets to "0" every hundred hours. It's not a big deal to me, as I could care less how many hours I log. (We all made it this far without knowing how many hours we ran!)

I'm just curious if this is something that can be remedied.

Thanks,
Chad
Old April 17th, 2011, 8:00 PM
CF Junior Member

I just bought an 05 suburban and noticed my engine hours was only in the 80's. I know it's wrong but it has gone up in the few weeks I have had it. Can't say for sure if it is up to or over 100 yet. I'd be interested in other replies.
Old April 18th, 2011, 8:57 PM
CF Junior Member

That's where mine was. 83 hours in 80,000 miles!!! It reset to zero when it should've gone to 100.
Old April 19th, 2011, 9:44 AM
CF Active Member

Originally Posted by Yellow Yota
That's where mine was. 83 hours in 80,000 miles!!! It reset to zero when it should've gone to 100.
Maybe the 3rd digit in your electronics is bad?
Old April 19th, 2011, 11:21 AM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Have either of you gotten the vehicle checked by your dealership? They would be able to diagnose your vehicles for you so you can have a starting point to fix the vehicle yourselves or if the problem shows to be a bit big for you then they can take care of it. I hope this helps you and if either of your decide to go to the dealership please keep us up to date on the trip. Thank you!

Jeff Morris Chevrolet Customer Service
Old April 20th, 2011, 8:42 PM
CF Junior Member

I'm not too concerned about it. I was just curious. I avoid my local Chevy dealership like the plague. Not knocking on all dealerships. Just this one. Since the market has gone in the tank, they have made it almost a contest to see who can write up the most deficiencies on a rig that is brought in for service.
As an example, my wife took our Yukon XL in to get the sunroof checked out. The list she came home with baffled me. A few of the items on the list that made my rig unsafe were the filthy/burnt/contaminated ATF, the dirty/contaminated gear oil in both axles, the dirty/contaminated lube in the transfer case, the badly worn serpentine belt, and the dirty/contaminated coolant.
It was a different story when we went back in with the receipts from each of those services that had been performed within the last 2500 miles. Not kidding. ALL of those were freshly done. She just wanted the sunroof looked at, as it had a loose slider thingy. Granted, these services weren't performed at that dealership, so if they just looked up our history, it would've suggested that those services were due, or close to due. There was no way that they physically looked at any of them until we went back and had them show us everything.
Needless to say, we got our money back from the "diagnostic", and told them to shove it. Especially when the only way they could figure out to fix a loose part on our sunroof was to replace the entire $1200 unit.

No thanks. I'll go by the odometer!!!
Old April 22nd, 2011, 8:21 AM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Yellow Yota, I'm sorry to hear about your dealership. Hopefully you'll be able to find another dealer in the area to be more helpful.

Jeff Morris, Chevrolet Customer Service
Old April 30th, 2011, 8:25 PM
CF Active Member

This problem is not that un-common. some people say it happens to them when they have pulled the batteries or jump started it.
Old May 2nd, 2011, 8:36 PM
CF Junior Member

Haven't pulled the batteries or jumped it since we've owned it, but it's only been 5 months.
It reset right at 100 hours.

I'll check in about a year when it hits the next 100. LOL. Don't drive it much!
Old May 3rd, 2011, 1:55 AM
CF Beginner

my 05 silverado reset itself at about 2000 hours and has not yet done it since. up to about 139. weird