Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Nav unit in a Yukon Denali?

Search this Thread

Old March 17th, 2009, 6:30 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nav unit in a Yukon Denali?

I have read the 440+ threads on this subject and decided it might be best to start a new one. After reading all of the threads, I heard many ask the same question but I really never found the answer.

Here is the questions again...

I have a 2007 Yukon Denali it has the Nav system already in but with out the DVD play in the rear. (my unit does not play any DVDs) So I read many of the threads and bought a unit from ebay that would play DVDs had no problem installing it. Took the vehicle to the dealer and had them remove the Theft lock using the Tech 2 everything work ecept... NO Sound!!!

I have seen others ask about this but I have not seen any clear answer. Can someone please lead me in the right direction? Is it an amp problem? Radio problem? Any help would be appreciated!!!

Thanks!!!
Old March 17th, 2009, 8:20 PM
Administrator

Received 155 Likes on 153 Posts

I know the Denali has a different radio w/ Centerpoint. Maybe a different amp. Hardin Thicke is a good source for this.
Old March 17th, 2009, 9:53 PM
CF Beginner

What are center point and is Harden Thicke a web site?
Old March 18th, 2009, 8:49 PM
Administrator

Received 155 Likes on 153 Posts

He's a forum member. Sent him a PM re: your question. CenterPoint is the Bose equalization term on the upscale Denalis and Eskys.
Old March 20th, 2009, 2:32 PM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm sorry, but the question is out of my area. My area of expertise is from the amplifier on, and I really don't deal with the head units at all. However, I can tell you that I believe the same amp is used in either application. I'd start with the head unit.
Old March 21st, 2009, 4:01 PM
CF Beginner

Default Thanks for the replies!!

Thanks 73 shark and Harden Thicke, I appreciate the replies.

Let me tell you both what I have done and see if that helps any. I have take this same head unit that did not work in my Denali and I placed it in a 2008 Chevy Silverado no Bose system. The radio and nave worked but the volume was not very loud. I have read many post about this and it makes sense with the Silverado and the amp that is in them. I could replace the amp with an after market and then the system would work. So I think the Head unit works fine, it must be the types of amps.

I have narrowed it down to the types of amps that are in the vehicles. No Bose amps, none lux amps, lux amps and premium amps. I know the Silverado had no Bose amp and my Denali has the premium amp. So I need a head unit for a premium amp.

I think I need a head unit that ends with 102.

Please let me know your thoughts if you don't mind.
Old March 22nd, 2009, 2:53 PM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wonder what vehicle the nav you bought off of ebay came from? The amp in the Denali is different than the one used in the Yukon and the Tahoe. These are 2 totally different animals in their appearance, and functionality. Here it gets even even more confusing. The amp in the Denali is one of a series of amps used in the lux line. The amp can come as a 5.1 setup depending on the number of amp chips inside the amp along witht he 5.1 circuitry. The PC board, and the case look identical. It's how the board is "stuffed" that counts.
Old March 23rd, 2009, 10:32 AM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

more than likely what has happened, is that the dealer programed the radio wrong. there are 2 types of amps used in these things. They are what we call "smart" and "dumb" amps. A smart amp communicates with the radio via data lines. Meaning when the radio wants the amp to turn on, it talks to it over the data lines. Dumb amps can't talk to radios, they only know to turn on when it sees 12+on a certain wire.

When programming these vehicles, you must pay very close attention to the spid label in the glove compartment and make sure all the options are selected properly.
Old March 24th, 2009, 8:08 AM
CF Beginner

That sounds great but how do you tell a dealer they screwed up? These guys are charging me $90.00 plus every time I take it in. If anyone has any suggestions on how and what I need to tell them to look for that would be great. Is there one certain code that they need to look for?

So let me ask you my theory on the amps is that correct or not? I stated earlier that there was 4 kinds of amps "1-No Bose amp, 2-Non-lux amp, 3-lux amp and 4-Premium amp." Does any of these make sense or am I out in left field?

Thanks for everyones help!!
Old March 24th, 2009, 9:02 AM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

your first 3 are correct.....no such thing as the fourth

There isn't much to look for. They can hook up their Tech2 and see what calibration files are in the radio, then compare them to what is available within TIS2WEB. If they don't match, then they may have picked an incorrect option. It is very easy to do as radio's have many different option depending on the radio, amp, continental location of truck, truck size, p\u or utility, back-up camera, and probably the most confusing part, but its mostly for the 09's, they mesh some of the info for the 08 and 09 models under 1 file, but you must read VERY Carefully as the file is for the oppisite thing from 08 to 09.

If you want to post your VIN,(or PM it to me if you're not comfortable posting it) I can check to see what options your truck has, check it against TIS2WEB, and maybe you can go in armed with a little info rather than just saying"I think you guys did it wrong!" hehe

Quick Reply: Nav unit in a Yukon Denali?