Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900
Old July 27th, 2015, 2:17 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Powertrain Guides
Print Wikipost

Need Assistance with Vortec 5.3 on 2007 Sub. Consuming Oil

Old January 2nd, 2011, 10:33 PM
Administrator

Received 154 Likes on 152 Posts

Welcome to the forum.

Let us know how you come out on this.
Old September 22nd, 2011, 12:01 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, bringing up an old thread. I too have this problem, experienced it from about 60k and it's taken me until 87k to get them to do anything.

First they did the oil drip pan...exactly 2k later it was a quart low again. They filled it up, sent me on my way, I came back 755 miles later w/ 1.5 qts low. They ordered pistons and rings and it is in the shop getting that done today.

I called that customer service number several weeks ago, no follow up from them.

I spent the better part of the past 1.5 years dealing w/ this, and I'm completely disappointed in how I was dealt with. I've had 4 uncles retire from the GM plant in Janesville, WI...they all either drive brand new Chevy's every other year or have had one for 20+...all been great vehicles. Until this one I've never had an issue w/ the past 3 Chevy's I've owned (Tahoe, 2 Burbs) before.

Contemplating a truck now, since I can't justify dropping Suburban cash again...ever!

My question, should I buy used, does this issue affect ONLY the '07...or are there other model years to stay away from?

Also, AFM is a joke...ONLY works on coasting downhill (rolleyes).

Thanx,

B
Old September 24th, 2011, 9:28 AM
CF Beginner

I solved my problem by taking my '08 Silverado back to the GM dealer and buying a Nissan (from the Nissan) dealer.

Sometimes you need to vote with your feet when playing with the big boys. Too bad it has to be that way.
Old September 24th, 2011, 9:58 AM
CF Beginner

So, not Exclusive to the '07 models alone? Damn.

Got mine Back and now it has a serious whine!!!

They can't look at it again until Monday, pissed! I definitely know a truck is too small for our family after test driving a couple. Problem is, I otherwise love the damn thing...we'll see what comes of the whine and repairs...I'll keep an eye on this thread too.

B
Old September 30th, 2011, 11:59 AM
CF Beginner

Hello. Newbie here, just joined today so I could share my experience on oil consumption with my '07 Suburban and where it's at today.

So, I bought my vehicle, used, from a private party a couple of years ago. Back then it had ~48K miles on it. The guy claimed he was selling it because it was his first non-truck vehicle and he wanted to get back into one since he had hunting dogs. No biggie! So during the dealings I specifically inquired about oil usage, not knowing the issues so many were having. His response was, 'Took it in for oil consumption test and they said it was within spec'. That should have been my first clue, but again I had no idea the motor was notorious for burning oil. Anyway, I thought that if there were any issue that with the 100K powertrain warranty I'd be covered.

Over the course of the next several months I started to notice very inconsistent oil consumption. I change my oil every 3K miles and sometimes the Add Oil light would come on in between changes and other times it wouldn't. One time it might be with primarily highway miles, another with moderate amounts of towing. In any event, the mode was inconsistent as well. After a few times of the light coming on I finally said ENOUGH! I took it in to the dealer and a consumption test was performed. Of course, no consumption showed up after 1500 miles so I basically gave up on the test. From there I kept on monitoring and tried to figure out that mode.

Fast forward to ~60K miles.......now the consumption was getting more regular. I had the light come on at 1500-1700 miles three or four times in a row. So back into the dealer I went to re-run the test. This time they tell me I'm out of warranty by time (a couple of months), but they agreed to run the test anyway, agreeing that if anything showed up they'd get GM involved. Well, that time was a success (for me). They recorded >1.5 qts in ~1650 miles.

So then what? Well, they told me the first step would be a new valve cover with additional baffels in it to prevent the oil from going out the PCV valve. They did that work a month or so ago. Last week I hit ~1750 miles after doing the work and lo-and-behold the light came back on. So, in it went.

So now they're into Phase 2...........where they drop the oil pan and flush the motor clean of sludge. It's in there now getting that done, but for the life of me I can't see where it would be any benefit. Anyhow, GM is paying for it so I'll continue to follow protocol.

From here we'll start the test again and if it's still over-consuming I'm told they'll go into the motor. I'm not exactly sure what all they'll be looking at, but I'm sure hoping for Phase 3!

I grew up driving Dodge since my dad used to work for them. I've driven many of their vehicles and I must say I've never had a vehicle burn oil like this one, especially at so few miles. I think a Qt in 3K miles would be excessive and a sign something's obviously wrong!! I know some guys who know guys at GM and they've supposedly been working on figuring this out for a long time. I'm not confident they know what the heck is going on even today.

Will keep all posted.......

Last edited by jayber; September 30th, 2011 at 12:11 PM.
Old September 30th, 2011, 12:20 PM
Administrator

Received 154 Likes on 152 Posts

Welcome to the forum.

I don't think the problem is widespread like the cracked dash is. Personally I use Mobil 1 in them and it uses about 1/2 qt in 7-8K miles.

Good luck. Hope they can get it fixed.
Old October 1st, 2011, 9:07 PM
CF Beginner

I am glad to see all this info on here! I own a 2007 LTZ tahoe. I bought it used in 2010. It is still under the 100,000 warranty through the dealer. The tahoe had 48k on it when I bought it. I am supposedly "required" to have all of the oil changes done at the dealer where I purchased it. So I have changed the oil every 3k to 5k at this GM certified dealer. I started having problems with the oil being low in between changes around 60k. I now have 82k and it loses about a quart of oil or a little more every 2k.
I have a friend who also has an 07 tahoe and is losing oil at about the same rate.
Then I was in the dealer where I bought it today and spoke to a man who owns a 2007 GMC Yukon who is having the same exact problems. GM needs to hear from all of us! I will be contacting them in the next couple of days.... The service department at my dealer tells us all the same thing, It's normal consumption!!! That is crazy, I have a 99 Pontiac that has 212K and doesn't lose a drop of oil! I will be keeping up with the posts, good to know that I am not alone...
Old October 9th, 2011, 7:16 PM
CF Beginner

The problem is over active lifters on the clys that drop out causes oil to be suck threw the internal pvc vavle in the vavle cover. Then your cat burns up the oil thats why do dont see a leak or smoke. Cause the cat oprates at high temp it Burn the oil right up. They might try lifters and new vale cover some times it takes care of the problem and sometime it dont. IF that dont fix the problem next step they will replace your heads. Note they will not repair anying thin inless your oil lost test shows your loosing more then 2-1/2 quarts or more at 1000mi mark from your oil change. hope this helps
Old November 22nd, 2011, 4:02 PM
CF Beginner

Update: Failed phase 2 (reference earlier post) so they wound up replacing all 8 pistons & rings........also a rocker arm and a connected rod in the process. Asked about cylinders condition and they assured me they were good. Time will tell!
Old November 23rd, 2011, 1:38 PM
CF Active Member

Just curious, those with the oil consumption issue are you using dyno or synthetic?

I am using dyno with no oil consumption issue. This is on an 07 5.3L AFM with ~65k.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Need Assistance with Vortec 5.3 on 2007 Sub. Consuming Oil