Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900
Old July 27th, 2015, 2:17 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Powertrain Guides
Print Wikipost

Need Assistance with Vortec 5.3 on 2007 Sub. Consuming Oil

Search this Thread

Old March 1st, 2012, 5:27 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by stevetro1
Bad news now is that the same vehicle is having transmission issues "out of warranty" - I guess they burned me in the end anyhow.
Maybe. How much do you figure you drove it with the severe misfiring, enough to cause the stabilitrack warning? It is not beyond imagination that such condition could shorten the life of the transmission. Maybe GM can imagine it also and bear the cost of your transmission re-build, or at least split it with you.

I just purchased an extended warranty for my 05 Suburban. Has 87K miles, for around $2600 they will cover it another 4 years or out to something like 135K miles. I figure I have a good truck w/o problems but it gives me some comfort to have extra warranty, and when I eventually sell it, I will be able to tell the buyer it still has transferable warranty left, a good selling point.
Old March 29th, 2012, 12:32 PM
CF Beginner

Go to my post about the 2010 Silverado oil connsumption. Im having yhe same discussion with GM at the moment.
Old April 2nd, 2012, 2:57 PM
CF Beginner

Default New to the forum, my oil guzzler

I found the forum due to searching for relief from my oil guzzler. I have a 2009 Tahoe 5.3L w/ 42k miles. It now drinks oil at the rate of 1.5qts/1400 miles. Today it went to the shop to start the oil consumption test, I'm baffled w/ the bulletins and complaints why they keep wasting their time w/ the oil consumption test, just fix it. I have used synthetic since 500 miles, for me it doesn't help, just cost me more money when I have to dump more oil into it. At the rate it's burning oil I should just do a filter change every 5k miles or so. Unfortunately I discovered this problem after I bought an Equinox for my wife, stupid me.

UPDATE: Delaer just called and it's ready to pickup. The marked the dip stick and I need to bring it back at 1k miles or low oil level which ever comes 1st. Who is going to reimburse me for my gas and time to ride across town for these service visits?

Last edited by jnaumuk; April 2nd, 2012 at 3:33 PM.
Old April 2nd, 2012, 6:01 PM
CF Junior Member

I think some owners do this to themselves by changing to synthetic oil too early in the vehicle's life. I would be angry if my truck was using that much oil at 42k, but I would not change to non-OEM fluids at 500mi either.
Old April 2nd, 2012, 8:47 PM
Administrator

Received 155 Likes on 153 Posts

Why??
Old April 3rd, 2012, 1:29 AM
CF Junior Member

This Wiki says it better than I can, but the short answer is, even with modern manufacturing, if you change your engine oil too early, your engine may never break in correctly. When can I change to synthetic oil? - Ninja250Wiki

That first few thousand miles you put on a new vehicle is important. Changing the oil way too early, no matter what kind of oil you put in, is really the wrong thing to do. This is more arguable with modern engines than in years past, but until it's not arguable at all, there is no way I would change my engine oil before the first recommended service.
Old April 3rd, 2012, 9:29 AM
CF Beginner

Default Motorcycle vs V-8

Can you really compare a 250 Kawasaki to 5.3l v-8? Not sure how many times my engine ever hits 6k on the tach but in that bike it is frequent. As quick as you can find an article to say not to put synthetic in there is another one that says put synthetic in. All of the people on here and other forums must have changed their oil to early too and now we all have this problem with the engines using oil. It could have absolutely nothing to do with the design of engine or the service bulletins that have been released. It's my fault.

Last edited by jnaumuk; April 3rd, 2012 at 2:18 PM.
Old April 3rd, 2012, 11:59 AM
Administrator

I guess all of the Corvettes since early 90s have been done wrong since they come from the factory w/ Mobil 1. Better inform the front office quick!
Old April 3rd, 2012, 4:05 PM
CF Junior Member

It's not that they come with synthetic or that synthetic oil is in any way harmful -- it clearly is not. Doing the very first oil change too early is what is harmful. If the mfr recommends doing the first oil change at 3000mi then don't do it at 500mi!
Old April 3rd, 2012, 6:31 PM
Administrator

Based upon your referenced link, that's illogical. How would fresh oil impede the break-in process that the original fresh oil had started?

A lot of folks recommend doing the first change at 500 mi to get rid of all of the metal particles scraped off during break-in.

Quick Reply: Need Assistance with Vortec 5.3 on 2007 Sub. Consuming Oil