Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

need help with a 94 suburban

Search this Thread

Old February 24th, 2015, 11:59 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need help with a 94 suburban

Okay, so the story goes, and shoild start off with if it ain't broke..dont fix it.
Was replacing dizzy because the pickup coil was cracked, still ran fine, but was cracked all to hell. So I replaced it, now my truck wont run for the life of it. I'll start up like a million dollar truck, but wont stay there. It boggs, the motor shakes, and just hates life. Im 100 percent positive its on #1 tdc, ive checked it based on valves, harmonic ballencer, and the piston its self. It wont rev with the ignition advance wire plugged in, the wire underneath the dash to set the timing(you have to unplug it to set the timing on a 350 tbi) anyways, ive tried advancing it, retarding it, leaving it at 0, almost every way it will rev fine with the wire unplugged. Plug it in and its the same old story. If I leave it unplugged and drive it down the road it pings(no advance at all) so I cant leave it. I need help. The timing is correct. What else could that little wire be controlling? I dont have a crank sensor, so that's not it. Im confused.
Truck is a 1994 chevy k2500 suburban
350 tbi
4l80e trans
Everything was fine until it does one day, fixed what killed it(overheating icm) and went ahead and replaced whole dizzy. It ran fine with the new icm, replaced dizzy and it does this.
Old February 25th, 2015, 7:23 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Kylewebb95
Okay, so the story goes, and shoild start off with if it ain't broke..dont fix it.
Was replacing dizzy because the pickup coil was cracked, still ran fine, but was cracked all to hell. So I replaced it, now my truck wont run for the life of it. I'll start up like a million dollar truck, but wont stay there. It boggs, the motor shakes, and just hates life. Im 100 percent positive its on #1 tdc, ive checked it based on valves, harmonic ballencer, and the piston its self. It wont rev with the ignition advance wire plugged in, the wire underneath the dash to set the timing(you have to unplug it to set the timing on a 350 tbi) anyways, ive tried advancing it, retarding it, leaving it at 0, almost every way it will rev fine with the wire unplugged. Plug it in and its the same old story. If I leave it unplugged and drive it down the road it pings(no advance at all) so I cant leave it. I need help. The timing is correct. What else could that little wire be controlling? I dont have a crank sensor, so that's not it. Im confused.
Truck is a 1994 chevy k2500 suburban
350 tbi
4l80e trans
Everything was fine until it does one day, fixed what killed it(overheating icm) and went ahead and replaced whole dizzy. It ran fine with the new icm, replaced dizzy and it does this.
Anyone? :/
Old February 25th, 2015, 10:42 PM
CF Veteran

Received 203 Likes on 177 Posts

Curious if you put the old dizzy back in (was running fine with that, right?) does it fix the problem?
Old February 28th, 2015, 10:22 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Rednucleus
Curious if you put the old dizzy back in (was running fine with that, right?) does it fix the problem?
I tried it, put it back how it was and no it didn't fix it.I also went and returned the new dizzy and got a new new one, still didn't fix it.
Old March 2nd, 2015, 6:59 AM
CF Junior Member

And the wires are back in the right firing order?
Old March 2nd, 2015, 4:57 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you replace the rotor?