Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Need help to reconfigure/disable Daytime Running Lights on a 98 GMC Suburban

Old June 22nd, 2008, 12:55 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help to reconfigure/disable Daytime Running Lights on a 98 GMC Suburban

I have a 1998 GMC Suburban where the Daytime Running Lights are the low beam headlamps. The problem is that I live in Florida and the constant heat of the headlights being on during the day is causing my headlight lenses to get a white haze that I can not remove. This haze blocks the light output at night causing visibility issues. I just bought my second set of replacement headlights in 4 years and I want to keep this from happening again.

1. Can I reconfigure the DRLs to activate an aftermarket set of lights and keep the headlight functionality the same is it is currently? In other words, is there a control module that I can disconnect from the low beam headlamp system and redirect to another set of lights?

2. If #1 is not possible, how do I deactivate the DRLs without affecting any other systems. There is a fuse for the DRLs, but I don't know if there is anything else on the circuit. I can deactivate by setting the park brake, but this activates the brake light so jumping that switch is not an option.

My preference is to keep the DRLs on an alternate set of lights, but my night time visibility is more important as I live in the country where there are very few street lights.

Thanks

Rick
Old June 29th, 2008, 5:33 PM
CF Beginner

Default RE: Need help to reconfigure/disable Daytime Running Lights on a 98 GMC Suburban

There is a relay in the underhood fuse block that you pull out. I am not sure of the location but if you look at the label on the lid of fuse block there is a listing 'DRL'. Simply pull out that relay and they are now inoperable. Headlights (high and low) still work as normal with the switch. The relay you want to pull has a solid white triangle with a line through it, it looks more like a fuse. Hope that helps you out.
Old July 2nd, 2008, 6:44 PM
CF Beginner

Default RE: Need help to reconfigure/disable Daytime Running Lights on a 98 GMC Suburban

I do not have a relay for the DRL in my underhood fuse block. I removed the fuse in the dash fuse block and that disabled them with no adverse effects so fr. I would still like to redirect them to a different set of lights if someone knows how.

Thanks

Rick
Old July 2nd, 2008, 7:45 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I believe the DRL relay in your vehicle is located in what is called the "convenience center". It's under the driver's side instrument panel, attached to the firewall near and to the left of where the steering column goes through. It's a module that has some wiring plugged into it, and along the bottom, 3 relays.From left to right, the relays are fog lamps, drl, turn signal.
Old January 23rd, 2018, 9:20 PM
CF Beginner

Default Options 1 figured out?

Originally Posted by n4tit
I have a 1998 GMC Suburban where the Daytime Running Lights are the low beam headlamps. The problem is that I live in Florida and the constant heat of the headlights being on during the day is causing my headlight lenses to get a white haze that I can not remove. This haze blocks the light output at night causing visibility issues. I just bought my second set of replacement headlights in 4 years and I want to keep this from happening again.

1. Can I reconfigure the DRLs to activate an aftermarket set of lights and keep the headlight functionality the same is it is currently? In other words, is there a control module that I can disconnect from the low beam headlamp system and redirect to another set of lights?

2. If #1 is not possible, how do I deactivate the DRLs without affecting any other systems. There is a fuse for the DRLs, but I don't know if there is anything else on the circuit. I can deactivate by setting the park brake, but this activates the brake light so jumping that switch is not an option.

My preference is to keep the DRLs on an alternate set of lights, but my night time visibility is more important as I live in the country where there are very few street lights.

Thanks

Rick

Did you ever figure out how to do option number one? I have some after market led lights and like to wire in to the daytime running lights
Old February 17th, 2020, 7:14 PM
CF Beginner

Default Disabling Daytime Running Lights

If you have the "DOME OVERRIDE" button near your headlight control **** like my 2001 Tahoe had, press that button with your truck running several times quickly (I think 5 times), you'll hear a chime then they are off. To confirm, open your door, the dome light will also be off. To turn them on press the same button quickly again until the chime sounds, the dome light and the daytime lamps back to normal. I used that feature to turn them off when I had a burned out running lamp and could not get to it, so it didn't draw attention from the cops looking for a reason to pull someone over. It's much more simple than all the crap that I read already.