Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

New '89 Suburban owner - fuse box location?

Search this Thread

Old February 5th, 2012, 2:19 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New '89 Suburban owner - fuse box location?

I bought a used 1989 Suburban R1500 with 5.7 TBI v8 yesterday. Mileage shows 95K but is more than likely 195K. However, the beast runs strong and is in pretty good shape for it's age. The radio and cig lighter plug are inop leading me to believe that' circuit's fuse is blown. Easy fix I though. Not so easy unfortunately as I have not been able to locate the fuse box. I have the owners manual but although it lists the fuse box diagram, it does not tell me where said box is located. I've looked in all the obvious places such as kick panels in driver/passenger footwells and under the hood. But to no avail.

Anybody who knows where this elusive use box can be found willing to give me a hand? Thanks!
Old February 5th, 2012, 7:33 PM
CF Active Member

Try Opening the drivers door and look at the end of the dash behind a snap in cover. Found mine there. Dont know when they started that though.
Old February 5th, 2012, 8:47 PM
CF Beginner

Not at the end of the dashboard unfortunately, but I did locate it. It's all the way back in the drivers side foot well against the firewall. Basically behind the bottom lip of the dashboard. Right behind the hand brake pedal. Unfortunately the previous owner had mounted a piece of equipment (looks to be related to towing) right in front of it under the dash hiding it from view.

Definitely not an easy location to get at the fuses if you are 6'1" and 200+ lbs like me. :-) But at least I've located it. To late and to dark right now to see if I can locate the offending fuse. I'll give it a try tomorrow.

Thanks for guiding me in the direction of this thing..
Old November 16th, 2013, 10:25 AM
CF Beginner

Default 1989 1500 fuse box location

my fuse box was behind an access panel on the dash. right above hood release and beside brake release.