Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

New engine for 2002 Suburban

Search this Thread

Old September 8th, 2012, 11:01 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New engine for 2002 Suburban

I have a chance to buy a 2002 Suburban with 183,000 miles on it. The asking price is $2500, but I think I can get it for less. The exterior is in pretty good condition (has one dent near the back bumper, but the paint looks good), and the interior is pretty good for the age/mileage. It has leather that is not torn, though there are a few cracks in it. It has captains chairs for the second row. The carpet is pretty clean. But...

It needs a new engine. Specifically it needs a new crankshaft. But with 183k miles, my thought is that I should go ahead and replace the engine, and while that is out, probably go ahead and replace the transmission too. I've got a few questions about this:

First, I've never had an engine replaced before. Should I buy a new crate engine, or a rebuilt motor, or a junkyard motor? What should I expect to pay for the removal and installation of an engine and transmission (I can get prices on the actual parts myself, so all I need are labor charges). I am planning on calling a shop on Monday and asking them, but I wanted to get a ballpark price range just to see what I would be dealing with.

Second, does it make sense to replace the tranny at the same time? My thought is that since the engine is out the tranny replacement should be simpler, therefore less $ (in labor). Also playing into this is that there are 183k miles and I know the 4L60E in there probably wouldn't last much longer anyways (especially with a new engine). But if this doesn't make sense let me know.

Third, what else should I be on the lookout for? I can't drive it so I can't check out the suspension. But the tires look like they are wearing evenly and I'm assuming that there will be some regular maintenance items that need to be replaced. No rust is visible even though it was owned in Pennsylvania. The car fax checks out perfectly. Two owners - first was a two year lease and then the second owner owned it until a few weeks ago when he traded it in.

Fourth, what would a reasonable price on this Suburban be in the condition that it is in now? In other words, what would you offer to pay for it knowing what I've told you.

I can't wait to hear the responses on this one...thank you all!
Old September 12th, 2012, 6:42 AM
CF Beginner

UPDATE:

The cost of a remanufactured motor, installed, is $4800. A used one with 150,000 miles would be $3000 installed. Both of those prices include new belts, plugs, plug wires, etc... A rebuilt transmission is $1800 from the same shop. Are those reasonable prices?

If you were to go with one of those options on the motor which one would you go with? I keep going back and forth. On the one hand 150,000 on a 5.3 isn't all that much but then again for $1800 more I could have what would essentially be a new engine.

What do you guys think?
Old September 12th, 2012, 9:03 AM
CF Beginner

Just make sure you look into what is available in your area. The option you give for the one with a used engine puts you at $7300 with a 10 year old Burb with 150k miles.

You can find that sitting on a lot.

2002 Chevrolet Suburban, Used Cars For Sale - Carsforsale.com

Old September 12th, 2012, 9:48 AM
CF Beginner

I assume you have the 5.3, if so it has aluminum heads and are prone to leaking so you may not want a rebuild, you can get a NEW long block crate motor for around $3300 with 3 yr warranty, 5.3 Ltr - 323 C.I.D. - GM ENGINE 1999-1999 New 12457705. You re-use the top end and front end from your original motor.