Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

New to the forum, got some questions..

Old October 19th, 2014, 11:05 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to the forum, got some questions..

Hey everyone, I am new to this forum and new to the American car scene. I am a huge BMW junkie, but just bought a 1999 Chevy Suburban 1500 LT last weekend with 164k on it. I plan to use this as my daily driver to commute to work and back everyday and school.

The truck has a few issues that I can see. First off, there is a loud whining noise coming from the rear and it sounds like the fuel pump to me. Doesn't ever really change noise. Also, there are two oil leaks. One I believe is coming from the valve cover gasket and the other is coming from a hose and dripping right onto the frame. The hose connects to the front of the engine somewhere, i couldn't really tell what is was connected to. And lastly, when i put the truck in 4WD as soon as i start to turn it starts making a clunking noise, as if something is binding, so i immediately put it back in 2 wheel drive and haven't messed with it since. I will take pictures tomorrow and post them of the oil leaks. Those are really my only concerns as of now. Other than that, i plan to do some general maintenance to the truck.

If you have any answers to my questions, please let me know.
Thanks
Old October 20th, 2014, 12:48 AM
CF Beginner

Default 1988 suburban

I am new to forum not sure yet just how it works

if this is out of line please let me know

I have a complete 1988 suburban body for truck build or restore
Truck body is from north Texas has little to no rust has been stored with a dehumidifier inside to preserve enterer
Have tried E-bay and other sights to sale it all with no luck truck body was bought to be placed on an older frame to make a heavy duty suburban it is in very good condition and needs a home
Would any of you have any ideas
Thank you
Old October 20th, 2014, 9:20 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by 1999Burban
Hey everyone, I am new to this forum and new to the American car scene. I am a huge BMW junkie, but just bought a 1999 Chevy Suburban 1500 LT last weekend with 164k on it. I plan to use this as my daily driver to commute to work and back everyday and school.

The truck has a few issues that I can see. First off, there is a loud whining noise coming from the rear and it sounds like the fuel pump to me. Doesn't ever really change noise. Also, there are two oil leaks. One I believe is coming from the valve cover gasket and the other is coming from a hose and dripping right onto the frame. The hose connects to the front of the engine somewhere, i couldn't really tell what is was connected to. And lastly, when i put the truck in 4WD as soon as i start to turn it starts making a clunking noise, as if something is binding, so i immediately put it back in 2 wheel drive and haven't messed with it since. I will take pictures tomorrow and post them of the oil leaks. Those are really my only concerns as of now. Other than that, i plan to do some general maintenance to the truck.

If you have any answers to my questions, please let me know.
Thanks
Assuming the whine is present only when the ignition is on, then yes, it's the fuel pump. Mine whined about a year before it died.

The hose leak is likely either an oil or transmission cooler line.

If you're putting it into 4wd just to make sure everything works, do it on a soft surface - grass, dirt, etc. The truck doesn't have a center differential, and you'll get tire scrub if you make a turn on hard pavement. Try again on a soft surface, and see if you still get the clunk. Could be the transfer case engaging a little slowly, or a u-joint.
Old October 21st, 2014, 7:11 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by intheburbs
Assuming the whine is present only when the ignition is on, then yes, it's the fuel pump. Mine whined about a year before it died.

The hose leak is likely either an oil or transmission cooler line.

If you're putting it into 4wd just to make sure everything works, do it on a soft surface - grass, dirt, etc. The truck doesn't have a center differential, and you'll get tire scrub if you make a turn on hard pavement. Try again on a soft surface, and see if you still get the clunk. Could be the transfer case engaging a little slowly, or a u-joint.

Okay, and the truck also has another problem.. maybe it will tie something together. When you give it full throttle it sucks in a lot of air but doesn't go anywhere. If I gradually hit the pedal it will pick up speed way quicker than just putting my foot to the floor and the temp gauge never gets all the way up to operating temp. It'll get a little bit past 1/4 and sit there. I read somewhere that one of the temp sensors kind of controls the cars performance. If the truck doesn't get up to operating temp, then the truck won't allow you to use all of it's power. Not sure if that's right, correct me if I'm wrong. I'd like to get all of this sorted out!

Last edited by 1999Burban; October 21st, 2014 at 7:31 AM.
Old November 2nd, 2014, 9:00 AM
CF Beginner

Default Gauges go crazy and loose power

I'm new to the forum also and not sure how to start a new thread or post. I have a 1997 S10 with a 4cyl. I replaced the spark plugs, oil, and oil filter yesterday morning. The truck was running and cranking fine. I got on the highway and at about 70 mph it started vibrating/shaking and loosing power. I pulled over and couldn't find anything wrong under the hood and got back on the road. I couldn't really accelerate over 60mph at this point and it started doing the same thing except this time the gauges started going crazy jumping all over the place. I pulled over and looked again and again nothing. After that the truck would turn over but not crank. After about 3 or 4 times trying to crank the truck the battery just died. I had it towed back to my house and replaced the fuel filter. I put jumper cables on and bring up the battery and still just turns over but doesn't crank. I don't hear the fuel pump coming on now as well. What could this be?
Old November 2nd, 2014, 12:30 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

With the gauges going crazy, I'd say that's electrical. Check out your belts and the alternator. Might as well have the battery checked, too.
Old November 2nd, 2014, 12:41 PM
Administrator

Received 154 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by mikepresson
I'm new to the forum also and not sure how to start a new thread or post. I have a 1997 S10 with a 4cyl. I replaced the spark plugs, oil, and oil filter yesterday morning. The truck was running and cranking fine. I got on the highway and at about 70 mph it started vibrating/shaking and loosing power. I pulled over and couldn't find anything wrong under the hood and got back on the road. I couldn't really accelerate over 60mph at this point and it started doing the same thing except this time the gauges started going crazy jumping all over the place. I pulled over and looked again and again nothing. After that the truck would turn over but not crank. After about 3 or 4 times trying to crank the truck the battery just died. I had it towed back to my house and replaced the fuel filter. I put jumper cables on and bring up the battery and still just turns over but doesn't crank. I don't hear the fuel pump coming on now as well. What could this be?
Welcome to the forum.

Check your fuel pressure also.
Old November 2nd, 2014, 1:02 PM
CF Beginner

How do I test fuel pressure or diagnose if it is the fuel pump? Can I just disconnect the line going into the fuel filter and see if fuel sprays out?
Old November 2nd, 2014, 2:08 PM
Administrator

Received 154 Likes on 152 Posts

If its fuel injection, there should be a Schrader valve connection for a fuel pressure gauge. If it's throttle body injected, I don't know.
Old November 8th, 2014, 4:39 PM
CF Beginner

I'm now getting power to everything again. I was testing my fuse panel and found no power to the ignition fuse. I used a jumper wire and am now getting power to my ignition fuse. The fuel pump now comes on but truck still wouldn't crank. I did some more investigation and found the crank fuse has no power going to it, so I used another jumper wire to the crank fuse and am now getting power to the crank fuse. I pressed down the clutch and the truck cranked right up. The key isn't even in the ignition. I press the clutch again and it grinds the starter. The clutch is acting as my ignition now what do I do?? I'm lost.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New to the forum, got some questions..