Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

New Suburban owner - power seat problem

Search this Thread

Old January 5th, 2011, 11:49 AM
S54
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Suburban owner - power seat problem

Hello. Just bought an '04 Suburban LT. Pretty clean and only 60K miles. The power, driver's side, front up/down function won't work. Just clicks. the rear of the seat cushion adjustment works fine, as well as the others - just the front part of the cushion. Easy fix? I searched.
Old January 5th, 2011, 9:20 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

Welcome to the forum...

might want to pull the seat bolts and lay the seat back so you can see the motor working...I'd bet the the gears are striped for the up/down but it might be as simple as just being loose or misaligned...
Old January 6th, 2011, 7:56 AM
S54
CF Beginner

What's the fix? New motor? Or is there a more economical fix?
Old January 6th, 2011, 9:29 AM
Administrator

Well.. really can't answer that until we know what the problem is.. have you pulled the seat to look at the motor,gear and rack assembly?
If you are hearing it click that tells me the switch works,
the relay is engaging to turn the motor on but:

Is the motor getting power?
Is the clicking the motor turning but not fully engaging the gears?
Is the clicking the gears not meshing and slipping due to looseness or mis-alignment, being broken?

The fix is to find what's broke or not working and repair or replace it....
Old January 6th, 2011, 12:13 PM
S54
CF Beginner

Sounds like it's getting power. Guess I'll have to explore options 2 & 3. Where can these parts be purchased? Is there a "preferred" dealer here on the forum?
Old January 6th, 2011, 1:53 PM
Administrator

Well there are some preferred sponsors (http://www.oehq.com/) on the side bar over there----->
And a lot of folks including myself have got parts from http://www.gmpartsdirect.com/
You can also check out your local dealer, it has been mentioned, thou I have not done it myself that if you take the printout from the GM parts direct page to your dealer they may match the price...
on the GM parts site use the catalog tab to drill down to your vehicle....

but before buying parts check it out and make sure its not something that isn't just loose....
Old October 16th, 2013, 12:08 PM
CF Beginner

have a 07 suburban the front seat only adjust sometimes what can i check to see what i have to do to fix it
Old July 15th, 2014, 10:36 PM
CF Beginner

i have a 2013 - 2500 suburban 4x4 loaded - the 2nd row 60% seat folds by itself as we drive, I have had it the gm dealer about 5 times here in Canada and last winter once in Texas - they can not find the problem. The strut has been replaced and the electric controls - The latest from jy dealer is basically "live with it- can not find the problem unless it does it when we drive' i sometimes drive a week- 4-700 km before it folds
Old July 16th, 2014, 1:35 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Hi kengh,

I'm very sorry to hear of this repeat concern that you have been experiencing with your Suburban. I understand that you have been back and forward to the dealership in order to have this concern resolved. Feel free to contact GM of Canada if any further assistance is needed. They can be reached at 800-263-3777 Monday through Friday from 7:30 AM until 11:30 PM and Saturday from 7:30 AM until 6:00 PM EST. Please let us know if you have any other questions.

Kristen A.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old July 18th, 2014, 12:07 AM
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by kengh
i have a 2013 - 2500 suburban 4x4 loaded - the 2nd row 60% seat folds by itself as we drive, I have had it the gm dealer about 5 times here in Canada and last winter once in Texas - they can not find the problem. The strut has been replaced and the electric controls - The latest from jy dealer is basically "live with it- can not find the problem unless it does it when we drive' i sometimes drive a week- 4-700 km before it folds
I have that same problem with my 2013 suburban. Never took it in for repair though. I also never tracked mileage between incidents. I live in the US.
Have they considered replacing the seat back frame? I never heard any mechanical or electric motors. It just drops.
Also it has not happened if someone was sitting on it

Last edited by blueinterceptor; July 18th, 2014 at 12:09 AM.

Quick Reply: New Suburban owner - power seat problem