Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

New Tahoe Roof is leaking.

Search this Thread

Old August 17th, 2008, 9:24 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Tahoe Roof is leaking.

Fixed!

Last edited by Mighty Hd; January 8th, 2010 at 12:47 PM. Reason: Found the problem
Old August 17th, 2008, 9:29 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts
Default RE: New Tahoe Roof is leaking.

I bet the roof drain is blocked, ifits under warrentyget it back to the dealer... do a forun search and there are some details of where and what to check
Old August 17th, 2008, 9:35 PM
CF Beginner

I'm trying to avoid dropping it off @ the dealer if it's something that I can fix myself. =)

I'll search for the roof drain blockage and see what I can come up with.

Thanks Pro.

I have been lurking the site for some time and finally decided to post.......
Old August 17th, 2008, 9:51 PM
Administrator

Received 155 Likes on 153 Posts

Welcome to the Tahoe forum. Like you I like to fix the easy things myself but in this case you might consider taking it in just to get the problem on the record so that if later you find out that the headliner is ruined cuz mold/mildew have set in.
Old August 17th, 2008, 10:08 PM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Subject:
Water Leak from Sunroof Area on an Incline
[align=left]

Models:
2007-2008 Cadillac Escalade, ESV, EXT[/align][align=left]

2007-2008 Chevrolet Avalanche, Silverado, Suburban, Tahoe[/align][align=left]

2007-2008 GMC Sierra, Yukon, Yukon Denali, Yukon XL, Yukon Denali XL[/align][align=left]

With Sunroof (RPO CF5)[/align]

[hr]

This PI was superseded to update model years. Please discard PIT4453.
[hr]

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.
Condition/Concern:
Some customers may comment that there is water leaking into the vehicle after a rainstorm. Water may be present on the headliner, interior ctsy lamp, and /or the "C Pillar "trim area. The concern is usually seen on vehicles that are parked on an incline where the front of the vehicle is higher than the rear. The concern may be caused by the rear sunroof drains being plugged due to the end of the sunroof drain tube being submerged into the sound dampening NVH (noise, vibration and harshness) foam.
Diagnosis of this condition is best made by opening the sunroof and slowly pouring water into the drain gutter and observing the water exiting the downspout hose and draining thru the rocker panel area under the "C" pillar. The concern may be caused by the rear sunroof drains being plugged due to the end of the sunroof drain tube being submerged into the NVH foam
Recommendation/Instructions:
If you experience this concern, remove the lower "c" pillar trim and relocate the lower hose retainer clip 25mm higher and slide the drain hose upward so that the lower end of the hose will not contact the NVH foam. After repair, poor water in the rear gutter assembly of the sunroof and verify that the rear sunroof drains are working correctly.
Old August 19th, 2008, 7:30 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

It was raining today and I have the sunroof on my 07 Tahoe, just out of curiosity I reached up into the gutter area of the sunroof with it close and sure enough there is a light amount of water/moisture up there. It wasn’t leaking or anything, thou it was raining very hard. I think that was a good move on GM’s part to deal with seepage rather then try and prevent it.
Old June 13th, 2020, 6:25 AM
CF Beginner

Default C Pillar Drain

Originally Posted by shawnvw
Subject:
Water Leak from Sunroof Area on an Incline
[align=left]

Models:
2007-2008 Cadillac Escalade, ESV, EXT[/align][align=left]

2007-2008 Chevrolet Avalanche, Silverado, Suburban, Tahoe[/align][align=left]

2007-2008 GMC Sierra, Yukon, Yukon Denali, Yukon XL, Yukon Denali XL[/align][align=left]

With Sunroof (RPO CF5)[/align]

[hr]

This PI was superseded to update model years. Please discard PIT4453.
[hr]

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.
Condition/Concern:
Some customers may comment that there is water leaking into the vehicle after a rainstorm. Water may be present on the headliner, interior ctsy lamp, and /or the "C Pillar "trim area. The concern is usually seen on vehicles that are parked on an incline where the front of the vehicle is higher than the rear. The concern may be caused by the rear sunroof drains being plugged due to the end of the sunroof drain tube being submerged into the sound dampening NVH (noise, vibration and harshness) foam.
Diagnosis of this condition is best made by opening the sunroof and slowly pouring water into the drain gutter and observing the water exiting the downspout hose and draining thru the rocker panel area under the "C" pillar. The concern may be caused by the rear sunroof drains being plugged due to the end of the sunroof drain tube being submerged into the NVH foam
Recommendation/Instructions:
If you experience this concern, remove the lower "c" pillar trim and relocate the lower hose retainer clip 25mm higher and slide the drain hose upward so that the lower end of the hose will not contact the NVH foam. After repair, poor water in the rear gutter assembly of the sunroof and verify that the rear sunroof drains are working correctly.

****Aloha, where does the water drain? Straight in to the NVH foam or is there a port there somewhere? Do i just let the hose hang 1” above the foam and it drains into the foam??? Thank you so much for your help!

Nvh foam at bottom of c pillar

DC pillar drain hose