Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

No heat - 96 Tahoe How to diagnose?

Search this Thread

Old February 6th, 2016, 11:27 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default No heat - 96 Tahoe How to diagnose?

Hey fellow members,
I just recently picked up a 1996 2 door z71 tahoe 5.7 liter and she has no heat or air. Weather has been really cold here and need to figure out if its the heater core or why she has no heat. I am not an avid DIY Mechanic so this will be a good chance for me to learn with the help of more experienced DIY Mechanics.

Can anyone tell me how I can diagnose the heating system components to find out what the problem is and what part/parts need to be replaced? The blower motor goes on when I use the Heather-a/c head control. That is all I can say.

Thanks in advance to all that can help.
Old February 7th, 2016, 12:27 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

check the coolant level
check thermostat take it out and boil it see if it opens and closes if it is nasty looking clean it off with some vinegar
maybe cracked block or plugged heater core lots of different avenues to go down
start with the cheap stuff and go from there

good luck
Old February 7th, 2016, 12:50 AM
CF Beginner

Thank you. I will start by checking coolant like you suggest and then move on the thermostat, then ill report back. going to have to wait until the morning.
Old February 7th, 2016, 1:04 AM
CF Beginner

Just a quick question. If it has a cracked block wouldn't it overheat? Because it drives fine and doesn't over heat.
Old February 7th, 2016, 12:36 PM
CF Veteran

Received 203 Likes on 177 Posts

Does the dash gauge show motor coming to normal operating temperature?
Once warmed up, does the upper radiator hose feel nice and hot and hold pressure?
Does one or both heater hoses feel hot like the radiator hose?
If yes to all three then I would be looking at items associated with getting water thru the heater core, or a badly plugged core. BTW do you get nice cold A/C air when you turn on the A/C?
Old February 7th, 2016, 1:26 PM
CF Beginner

I bought the 96 Tahoe about 1 week ago from this guy who was very vague about the trucks condition. He did tell me the rear end needs to be replaced or rebuilt and he gave me 6 bearings to go with the truck. Besides that the oil doesn't smell like antifreeze. He said the a/c and heat do not work. The truck drives very good even with the problems it just mentioned. It's been raining here for three straight days now and according to the weather channel I have one more day before the rain clears up. Then I will be putting time into finding out the issue with the heat. I will be checking this thread and the day after tomorrow will be doing what you all mention so I can get to the problem with the heat. The other problems I will tackle at a later date.
Old February 7th, 2016, 1:27 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Rednucleus
Does the dash gauge show motor coming to normal operating temperature?
Once warmed up, does the upper radiator hose feel nice and hot and hold pressure?
Does one or both heater hoses feel hot like the radiator hose?
If yes to all three then I would be looking at items associated with getting water thru the heater core, or a badly plugged core. BTW do you get nice cold A/C air when you turn on the A/C?
Yes the truck warms up to normal operating temperature after about 10 minutes of idling/driving.
Old February 7th, 2016, 1:52 PM
CF Beginner

Okay I just went out there in the rain started her up let her run for 10-15 minutes and then stuck my hand under the passenger floor mat to find its all wet. I need a new heater core. I already watched a few videos on YouTube on how to change it. I have never done a heater core before but am going to have fun doing this myself. Does anyone here recommend any specific replacement heater core? I found one on parts geek for like $33.00 does it matter which one I buy?
Old February 7th, 2016, 4:26 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Parts Geek has good products. Just be sure they have all your vehicle specs. e.g. Make, model, year, 2 or 4 WD, etc.
Old February 7th, 2016, 4:39 PM
CF Veteran

Received 203 Likes on 177 Posts

Rockauto is another good source. In the "old days" you could get your core rebuilt at the local radiator shop; don't know if that's available/practical in the 21 century!