Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Odd noise?

Search this Thread

Old February 5th, 2016, 9:03 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Odd noise?

Howdy. I have just replaced the fuel pressure regulator on my 00 Chevy c1500 burb 5.3l. I went to take my daughter to work. It is 7 miles one way. Before I got there I started to hear like a grinding sucking sound as I drove. I thought maybe fuel pump or I needed more fuel in the tank cause I have good pressure again. It would do it at idle after sitting for 4 minutes enough time for all gas to stop moving in the tank. It don't do it at startup. It will start after 1 to 2 minutes. I got under the truck while it was running cause the sound wasn't coming from where the pump would be. The sound is coming from the front of the tank. When I put my hand on the front of the tank close or even the frame rail. I can feel the vibration from it. I am thinking the purge valve or a hose. What do yall think about this. I get no codes and I am still at 16.5mpg. I have great starting and I also have turned the key on and off to hear the pump. It will spool up at the normal noise as always. So the pump isnt the issue now. This is only after running or driving only. After it starts it is very constant and rhythmic. Another way to describe it is like a shop vac sucking up water. Just skimming the top to get a slurping with a slight vibrations and gurgling/grinding type of sound.
I appologize for long post and repeating certain things differently. Just trying to give as much info as possible. Any help would be fantastic and very appreciated.
Old February 6th, 2016, 7:14 PM
CF Veteran

why did you replace the regulator
Old February 7th, 2016, 4:48 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by cleveland63b
why did you replace the regulator
The regulator went bad on it. Had gas passing into the vacuum line and had hard starts after sitting or hot days. The check engine light never came on either which made it odd. No it fires right up and has more power than it has had since I've had it.