Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

oil filter

Search this Thread

Old June 29th, 2013, 10:49 AM
CF Active Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default oil filter

I changed the oil on my 2011 3/4 ton Suburban the other day and noticed that I had a leak coming from the filter after I changed it. Any one ever have a problem with the Bosch Distance plus oil filter leaking from the gasket? This is the first time I have used one and the researched I did talked about how great these filters are. The guy at Advanced auto parts could not believe it. Just replaced it with a Mobil 1 filter and no problems.
Old June 30th, 2013, 10:14 AM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

Probably just that one in a million that may have been defective...
Curious as to how you apply your filters,
Do you pre-fill with oil and oil up the o-ring prior to install
Or spin it on out of the box?
Old June 30th, 2013, 9:40 PM
CF Active Member

I do not pre fill the oil filter as there is no need. It is not a diesel. I do always oil up the o-ring prior to install with some fresh Mobil 1. I would be curios on how many people do pre fill the filter, I guess it would make sense to prevent any dry starts. I use to run an oil change shop and changed thousands of vehicles oil, but never put much thought in to prefilling a non diesel engine.
Old July 1st, 2013, 9:26 AM
Administrator

Where its been possible, I have always pre-filled the filter, as I was told/taught it helps prime everything, helps get oil flowing sooner.
Old July 1st, 2013, 12:39 PM
CF Monarch

Received 337 Likes on 318 Posts

I always pre fill my oil filter and also oil the o ring. I also have heard that it gets the oil flowing and lubricating the engine sooner. If you don't the oil filter has to fill with oil before it can start lubricating the engine.
Old July 1st, 2013, 8:41 PM
Administrator

Received 155 Likes on 153 Posts

The reason to oil the gasket on the oil filters is to prevent them from sticking when it's removed for the next oil change. A friend with a drag Camaro learn this lesson the hard way. He didn't check before putting the new filter on and there was a gasket stuck to the block. He started the Camaro up and let it set for a few minutes while he went inside to check on something. When he got back outside, most of the oil had been pumped out on the ground because it blew the gasket out.
Old July 1st, 2013, 9:16 PM
CF Active Member

Double gasketing a filter never works out well for any body.
Old July 2nd, 2013, 7:16 AM
Administrator

I'd always assumed that oiling the gasket was to ensure that the gasket didn't stick and crinkle up while the filter was being tighten potentially causing a leak...

I have always made it a point to wipe the filter mounting surface clean prior to spinning the new one on, this would also provide an opportunity to check for the old gasket still being in place...
Old July 2nd, 2013, 9:32 PM
CF Active Member

Wiping off the mounting surface is a great way to prevent a double gasket. Lubing up the gasket will definitely help prevent the gasket from crinkling up. It also helps seal the filter and makes the lubrication makes it easier to remove the filter when replacing it during the next oil change.
Old November 23rd, 2015, 8:54 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 2001 tahoe and I am having the sameproblem. I have been using ac delco filters the last few oil changes. The lastone had a very slight seep and didn’t drip Now this one is dripping. The filteris def not lose and I did lube the seal like I always do. I was thinking ofchanging to a mobile 1 filter to see it that fixes. I saw the guy on this threadchanged to that. Anyone else here having similar problem. I have never seen afilter leak like this before. If I change just the filter how much oil will I lose? I just did the oil and don't wanna do a full change. Please help!

Quick Reply: oil filter