Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900
Old July 27th, 2015, 2:25 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Powertrain Guides
Print Wikipost

oil pressure low, stop engine

Search this Thread

Old May 30th, 2011, 12:57 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil pressure low, stop engine

I got this warning yesterday on my 2008 chevy tahoe. what could it be?
Old May 30th, 2011, 2:42 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jje1298
Welcome to the forum.

To answer your question it could be anything from really low oil, to all kinds of nasty catastrophic internal parts failures.

hope that helps.

:chug:
Old May 31st, 2011, 1:32 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by jje1298
Jje1298,

I am sorry to hear that you’re having issues with your vehicle. I would advise you to get your vehicle into the dealership as soon as you can to get this resolved.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" /><o></o>
<o></o>
Thank you!<o></o>
<o></o>
Elizabeth, Chevrolet Customer Service <o></o>
Old May 31st, 2011, 10:01 PM
Administrator

Received 154 Likes on 152 Posts

Check the oil level and if OK, then check the sensor.
Old December 31st, 2011, 2:07 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got this message last month on my 2008 Suburban 1500. It only appeared during my left hand turn as I went up a hill. I quickly realized that it was my oil level. I was showing nothing on my stick!

This engine runs great but must like to burn the oil, I only have 75k on it. My last Suburban (2001) also burned oil. My old car had oil level warning light, does the 2008 have one? If it does, it does not appear to be working!!

Any suggestions on what to look for?
Old December 31st, 2011, 3:29 PM
Administrator

Received 154 Likes on 152 Posts

I believe the NBS has a low oil sensor.

How much too low was it?

How many miles since last change?

Probably should get it checked out while you're still covered by the powertrain warranty.
Old December 31st, 2011, 5:51 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

I'll be the first to admit I can be bit lackadaisical about checking my fluid levels and putting too much faith in the vehicle to tell me at times....esp when its cold out

But it should be a weekly or as the manual says at every fuel fill or at least every other one check your oil level... with so many folks reporting that some 5.3L engines consume oil at a high rate often at a quart every 3k miles
Old January 2nd, 2012, 8:49 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> The 2008 Suburban has an Oil Pressure light. When the light comes on and stays on, it means that oil is not flowing through your engine properly. You could be low on oil and you might have some other system problem.

To check for the oil life, Press the vehicle information button until OIL LIFE REMAINING displays. This display shows an estimate of the oil’s remaining useful life. If you see 99% OIL LIFE REMAINING on the display, that means 99% of the current oil life remains. The engine oil life system will alert you to change the oil on a schedule consistent with your driving conditions. When the remaining oil life is low, the CHANGE ENGINE OIL SOON message will appear on the display.

If neither of these is occurring, I encourage you to take the vehicle in for an inspection.

If you have any additional questions, please feel free to contact me.

Louis
GM Customer Service
The following users liked this post:
Jojones (March 15th, 2022)
Old July 2nd, 2012, 9:01 AM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

there is a screen under the oil pressure switch which can get clogged with dirty oil. sometime even using an oil pressure gauge can show low oil pressure and lead to unnecessary repairs, i would remove the switch and gently pull out the screen and check.
Jojones (March 15th, 2022)
Old March 15th, 2022, 12:11 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Chevy suburban 2007

My suburban is giving me this code, only after the engine warms up, it starts at 40 and slowly goes down to 0.
we tried changing the oil pump and put in a high volume one also a switch. Nothing changed.
I just saw the above comment about cleaning the screen I will try that now and update.

Last edited by Jojones; March 15th, 2022 at 12:25 PM. Reason: New info
Reddychevy (January 25th, 2024)