Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Onstar Handfree calling without onstar service

Search this Thread

Old October 23rd, 2008, 1:39 PM
CF Active Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Onstar Handfree calling without onstar service

I was going to cancel my OnStar service but when I called them up to cancel the service, they offered the basic plan that you get for 18.95 for 12.95 a month for one year without a contract. So i decided to keep it for now. I have a third line connected through Verizon and using it through onstar for the hands free phone. But I do havesome questions about the hands free calling.

Is there anyway possible, to keep the phone service through Verizon and cancel the onstar. Does the onstar phone have a permanent unknown phone number and the extra phone number through verizon is forwarded to the onstar phone number, or is the onstar phone equipment actually programmed over the air into the equipment? if it is programmed OTA, can one just get the ESN and activate this with Verizon without having to go through Onstar? is there anyway to access the NAM programming menu, like the old analog units?
After doing some research on the web, all i found was that you can hack into onstar gps unit and use it with a computer or windows mobile, or Blue star, which lets you use the onstar mic, radio interface and speakers, and the three buttons on the mirror with a bluetooth phone.

I know this is a loaded question but it would be great if anyone can give some useful information. thanks

Old October 23rd, 2008, 9:59 PM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Default RE: Onstar Handfree calling without onstar service

when you deactivate your onstar service, Onstar sends a signal to your vehicle that disables the HFC in the VCIM, and also changes the options within the module to make it very hard to cantact onstar via the blue button, and when you do get through, there is no GPS or vehicle info. The emergency button will still work though.
There is no "hidden" phone number. If you press the white onstar button, and say "my number", it wil give you your number. Onstar has assigned that number to the ESN of the onstar module that is in your vehicle. They can change the number as they see fit so it is not locked to the ESN. Also when the deactivation signal it sent, the number is also lost.
Old October 24th, 2008, 10:39 AM
CF Active Member

Thanks for the response. Do you knowif onstar calls into theHFC and disables it via cellular data or via some other means?

If its via cellular data, does onstartry to connect and reconnectto the equipment regularly until it gets confirmation of disconnection, or something of that nature, orafter afew attempts,does it"time out" and doesnt retry again? Also, does the onstar equipment on my tahoe call into the ONSTAR "headquarters" to check in from time to time to verify anything or to do a self audit of some sort while the OnStar equipment subscriptionis active or inactive? I was thinking that ifmy tahoe does not attempt to contact "OnStar Headquarters", andOnstar only tries a few times to disconnectorchangeinformation on the VCIM, then it seems like it may work. When I was calling todisconnect, the Onstar operator said that i haveto call verizon to switch myESN to a different phone, has if Onstar doesn'tnotify verizon of anything. ButI may be wrong.

I got a hold of my ESN for my onstar equipment. I was thinking that if I disconnect the onstar module first, then call them to disconnect my onstar service, have Verizon switch the ESN of my onstar phone to a ESN that belongs to a old cellphone. since my old cellphone number is already programmed into the onstar equipment then maybe aftera few weeks, i could switch my old cellphone number back to the onstar equipment by contacting verizon and by doing a ESN change. Or just disconnect the module, Disconnect the onstar and leave the Verizon part alone, then after few weeks, reconnect the onstar module.

Im thinking the answer on this one is that you wont know untill you try but if you do know if the onstar equipment in the car calls and checks in with onstar, it will save me some time. Thanks again.
Old October 24th, 2008, 5:03 PM
CF Addict

the Ford Sync puts the Chevy head units to shame, it uses your own cell phone from the start, even using it to call 911 in an emergency for you... OnStar is a crock...

i hope you find a way to do what you want, the 09 has built in bluetooth.... i personally use the speaker phone on my phone, or a head set...

The whole 'car phone' concept is rather 1990s.... everyone has their own phone, why would I want one just in my car?
Old October 24th, 2008, 7:04 PM
Banned

The sync is the pos IMO. If I get in an accident, and my cell battery is dead, or the phone is off, or in my case, I don't own a cell phone, sync isn't going to make the call for me, whereas my onstar unit will

rruelas...you're right when you say"don't know till you try it". But I will say this. Your ESN is not a software setting that can be changed. It is a hardware configuration that is unique to each onstar module, cell phone etc. hope that answers your question
Old October 24th, 2008, 9:25 PM
CF Active Member

I used to work for several Cellphone companies, including GTE Wireless/Verizon Wireless. i know that its against the law/ FCC to change the ESN (CDMA)or IMEI of your cellphone/wireless even if you own it outright. Likeyou said, its unique toevery wireless device andcan not be changed. Thats not what I want to do.

I was just wanted to know if Onstar headquarters calls into the epuipment in your caror if the car calls into the onstar headquarterseven if you donthave the service.

I know that if i was to call OnStar, they would not give me a straight answer.
Old October 24th, 2008, 10:50 PM
CF Addict

it will only make the call if you subscribe to the service... the sync will make the call regardless... I wonder if GM will get sued over that little issue....
Old October 25th, 2008, 6:54 PM
Banned

rruelas...I honestly don't know the answer to that. You may try like you said, d\c the module, cancel your service, and don't reconnect to for a couple weeks.

sabrtoothsqrl, when the free subscriptions runs out(1 year on new vehicles, 3monthson optimum used), the customer is giving the option of subscribing or not. If they opt out of the program, how can GM be even remotely held liable when there is an accident?
Old October 25th, 2008, 8:39 PM
CF Addict

well, how can McDonald's be liable for a hot cup of coffee?

I'm not saying they can, or even that they should; I'm saying that its a rather big concern.

According to the OnStar commercials I have seen (and correct me if I'm wrong) the system basically calls 911 in an accident and lets them know your location. I assume this is only if you subscribe to the service.

The Ford Sync does the same thing, without any subscription fees.

Here is the problem, 99% of people may assume that OnStar will call in an emergancy, and it will not (or will it, w/out a subscription)

Here is MY personal problem with this service; say (and please don't let this happen) I'm in an accident in the middle of no where (but for the sake of argument, cell phones work) and I do NOT currently subscribe to OnStar.

The vehicle there for does NOT call 911, and any rescue is delayed, causing additional injury and or death.

Assuming I live, I would personally sue GM for 'lack of reasonable action'. The vehicle has the CAPABILITY of contacting emergency support and it DOES NOT... because I'm not paying them monthly? It has a built in phone, or the ability to use my phone, to which of course 911 is a free call, and it simply DOESN'T?

That would be like putting an air bag in a car, and it only going off in an accident if you payed GM monthly for the 'air bag service'

That's just wrong on so many levels...

I don't know if I would win, and I hope to not find out, and I may be wrong, the system may still call 911 in an accident if you do not subscribe.. (do you know)?

Old October 25th, 2008, 8:47 PM
CF Addict

looks like I was right (according to these guys) 911 does NOT get called if you do not subscribe...

http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f...uestion-42450/

LaWSuIT... [](but hopefully not me, I'd rather just not have the accident)....

Seriously, there are like 100 analogies for this... next time your in an accident... I have the phone in my hand, and I hit 911, but ya know, darn it, I just can't hit send unless I get my $14.95.... [&:]

Quick Reply: Onstar Handfree calling without onstar service