Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Opinions on HD towing package for medium towing

Search this Thread

Old March 26th, 2012, 2:29 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Opinions on HD towing package for medium towing

I'm in the market for a gently used 2011 Suburban half ton with 4WD. I'm coming from a 2006 Silverado half ton.

I am a boat owner. I've never weighed it but I'm guessing fully loaded it is in the ballpark of 2500 pounds. At most I currently tow it 3000 miles per year but that may go up as my children age.

In my research I see that the towing capacity is 5000# without the tow package and 8000# with. It looks like the tow package changes the gear ratio from 3.08 to 3.42 and adds an external transmission cooler.

I'm trying to decide if the HD tow package is one of my top priorities. I know I'm under the capacity, but am concerned with the drive experience without and especially whether I'm going to put additional wear on the transmission.

Would you recommend that the tow package is a must have feature for someone in my position?

Thanks in advance.
Old March 26th, 2012, 2:58 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Get the tow package. It is really what separates the grocery-hauling, MPG-optimized Suburban from the towing machine you are looking for. GM wants that MPG figure to be better, and why shouldn't they; but you probably aren't the kind of customer who is that concerned about 1 MPG.

You can add an aftermarket trans cooler later on if you need to. I believe the trans oil line is still plumbed through the main radiator even w/o the dedicated trans cooler.
Old March 27th, 2012, 8:19 AM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default i wouldn't

you're giving up MPG to tow only a % of the time and way under your limit. I wouldn't bother unless you plan to upgrade your boat in the future...

my wife's escape can tow 3,500 and it has no towing package. just a hitch and a V6.
Old March 27th, 2012, 4:03 PM
Administrator

Received 155 Likes on 153 Posts

OK, which is it that your wife drives, Tribute or Escape? I know they're the same but you switch back and forth.
Old March 28th, 2012, 7:47 AM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default lol

Wife has a Tribute, but more people are familiar w/the Escape.

They came off the same assembly line, the Tribute's difference was a slightly better interior, 4 wheel disc, longer warranty, quicker ratio steering, and stiffer shocks... else it's the same car.

same engine, transmission, suspension, wheel size.

The Tribute replacement, however, the MX-5 is a true Mazda, not a re-badged ford.

the MX-5 only tows 2,000 lbs which, although meets our 2 jet ski towing needs, we'd both feel better if it could tow 3,500 like the new Escape.

I did however have a 2012 Escape while my tahoe was in the shop after my 2nd rearending.

It was a marked improvement over her 2005, however the Tribute added a few nice touches the Escape didn't have. Of course the Tribute was almost always (as are most if not all Mazda's) a girl's car.

same reason I can't buy a Celica GT-S... girls car. Every time I see one.... it's a girl driving.