Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Paint Job - Black

Search this Thread

Old July 16th, 2007, 9:49 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Paint Job - Black

I bought a '07 Black LTZ and when giving it a car wash I noticied about a billion tiny scratches all over it. It's looks to be inthe clear coat in all directions like somebody took a rough rag to it.Not like a swirl or spider web look that you see when look at it in the sun. If you look at the car from a distance you don't see it but when you look at it closely or under a floresent they are litterally everywhere. Then when I was drying it the other day using a (brand new washed) chamosis it was making little scratches when a rubbeda little hard in a testspot but not anywhere else when I was just drying it as normal.

I've never had a black vehicle before so I don't know what to expect but right now it's like a brain virus. I've already talk to the dealer once and they've fixed anobvious scratch across the nose and small chip on the hood. Right now I'm trying to figure out the approach to take the dealer because they think I'm crazy but first I need to know from you guys... is this just how black paint jobs will look or if this is truely an issue that needs to be resolved.

Thanks in advance for ya'lls insight

Old July 16th, 2007, 10:32 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Paint Job - Black

Same problem when I bought our brand new Tahoe! The dealerships take absolutely no care in washing the vehicles on their lot. This is a problem when you buy a black vehicle, as it only takes one bad wash for it to be ruined.

When I bought my Duramax (black) it literally was right off the transport truck. I refused to let the dealership wash it when checking it to be assured that some 18 year old kid with a dirty bucket and scrub brush would ruin my paint job. My paint job was beautiful for the last 2 years until I moved and had to go to a new dealership. After changing my oil (and without telling me) they washed my truck! That's all it took! Scratches all over the clear coat. Needless to say I had them professionally detail and buff out the scratches, but it still doesn't look as good as before.

I recommend anyone buying a black vehicle, to get it right off the truck before the dealership ruins the paint job, or to make them detail/buff it before taking posession. Also, put on your permanent record at the dealership to "never wash the vehicle". My .02 cents.