Parking Brake Light Stays On - Chevrolet Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums

Parking Brake Light Stays On

CF Beginner

June 8th, 2009, 6:43 PM   #1  
Parking Brake Light Stays On

I have a 2004 Chevy Tahoe. I always set my parking brake and have never had a problem. Today when I went out I released the parking brake and started down the street and the chiming (warning bell) started - I noticed the parking brake light was on, so I stopped, put it in Park, engaged the parking brake and released it again thinking it was stuck, but the light didn't go out and the chiming continued. Any simple fix for this??

Super Moderator
Ride of the Month
May 2009

Westminster, Md.

June 8th, 2009, 7:54 PM   #2  
Try pulling up a little on the parking brake pedal, it may not be retracting all of the way and contacting the switch.

CF Beginner

June 9th, 2009, 1:13 AM   #3  
Thanks - I am pretty sure I did that but will try again. I did have someone look at the brakes as I set and released the parking brake and it looks like it is grabbing and releasing on both wheels, so atleast I'm not driving with the parking brake on

CF Beginner

June 17th, 2009, 12:49 AM   #4  
I have a 2007 LT3 Tahoe and its having similar problem. I posted a thread on here to, so you can see the details on mine.

parking brake problems...

- My issue seems to be related to the parking brake release lever/handle thing. When I have the issue, usually if I pull/mess with the release handle a few times, it clears it out. Recently I had this happen and I couldn't get it to stop, so I placed a folded paper in the side of the release lever/handle to extend it a little and I haven't heard it complain since.

- I am planning on taking it in to the dealership to see what they can do about that. I will let you know the out come.

CF Beginner

March 16th, 2014, 10:26 PM   #5  
Same problem on 2002 Suburban

I'm having the same problem with my parking brake not completely releasing...like there's a broken or worn out spring somewhere? But I can't see where that would be. In the beginning it started feeling looser and looser, and then one day it didn't come up all the way and I got the alarm thing until I manually pull the pedal the remaining distance up with the brake release handle pulled. Now that is the norm every time I drive.

CF Beginner

March 16th, 2014, 10:28 PM   #6  
Did you get any information from the dealer?

Administrator

KC, MO area

March 16th, 2014, 10:39 PM   #7  
Welcome to the forum.

While it may be spring related, I'd first try lubricating the pivot points.

CF Beginner

March 16th, 2014, 11:29 PM   #8  
Posted By: Meischa I'm having the same problem with my parking brake not completely releasing...like there's a broken or worn out spring somewhere? But I can't see where that would be. In the beginning it started feeling looser and looser, and then one day it didn't come up all the way and I got the alarm thing until I manually pull the pedal the remaining distance up with the brake release handle pulled. Now that is the norm every time I drive.
So, we finally just took the darn thing apart. We were partially right with the "spring" theory. Inside of the parking brake mechanism, there are two cogs that actuate the coiling of the brake cable. Those have become misaligned and so the mechanism won't fully work. The entire assembly needs to be replaced, as most of it is machine-assembled. I've seen other similar threads, so this seems to be a common problem. What a pain!

CF Beginner

June 25th, 2014, 12:00 PM   #9  
oh wow so im having the same issues as you guys above so here im thinking I have worn out brake pads

Tags
Search this Thread
Sponsors