Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Please help! 2000 Chevy Tahoe; Spider gears, differential, etc

Search this Thread

Old October 23rd, 2008, 11:21 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please help! 2000 Chevy Tahoe; Spider gears, differential, etc

See:

http://www.tahoeforum.com/showthread.php?t=11641

I took it to a shop, had the rear brakes replaced, which I was told would probably stop the sound. While the brakes were indeed TERRIBLE (shoes in the rear were worn to the rivets) the sound did not stop. Talked to the owner of the shop that replaced my shoes, drums, and fixed the front diff leak and he said he had a 99 Tahoe that made the same sound (only less pronounced).

He said barring a complete clean external inspection (bearings, rods, bushings, etc) he could almost guarantee 99% that it was something to do with the spider gears in the differential, and if left to its devices for too long, could result in a bad differential.

What are your thoughts on this?
Old October 23rd, 2008, 1:58 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Please help! 2000 Chevy Tahoe; Spider gears, differential, etc

The sound is basically like if you had an automatic car in neutral and gave it gas without realizing and then put it into drive how it gives that little squeal. I really don't know how to describe it.

I noticed just now on my way back from the gym that it sometimes does it when stopping as well, with no accelerator depression. Like if I'm coasting and then kinda jab the brakes you can hear it squeal. Also, sometimes it does it if I go over bumps at slow speeds.

Would the spiders/diff make a noise going over a bump if it was bad?