Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

'05 Tahoe Factory DVD

Old October 14th, 2011, 9:17 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '05 Tahoe Factory DVD

I have a 2005 Tahoe with a factory installed rear DVD system. The DVD player has recently stopped working. It will not turn on when the power button is pressed. However a DVD can still be ejected if a DVD is inserted when the eject button is pressed. The player worked fine for months then sporadically worked and now does not work at all. The child safety button has no effect either. Could this be a wiring problem or does the system need to be replaced??
Old October 15th, 2011, 10:15 AM
CF Active Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My guess would be that the unit itself is just worn out, and has therefore stopped working. We had one years ago in our Venture that did the same thing - worked fine for a long time, then it sporadically worked, and finally it didn't work at all anymore.

Probably the easiest solution would be to buy a new unit, and just swap the old one out with a new one. Usually you can find OEM systems on eBay for a fair price. Even if it is used, which will probably be the case, if it works, you will end up saving a lot of money in the long run.

Of course, the other option is to have your current OEM unit repaired. Some audio/video shops will be able to do this, or know where to have it done. Finally, you could replace the entire unit with an aftermarket system, or get headrest DVD players instead.

Hope that helps! Good luck!!
Old October 18th, 2011, 8:01 PM
Administrator

Received 154 Likes on 152 Posts

05Lorain: Welcome to the forum.

My wife's 2004 OEM DVD failed a few months ago. CarMax sent it off to a repair shop in Chicago and they replaced the player. Had an extended warranty. Cost me $50 instead of $527.
Old October 19th, 2011, 7:45 AM
CF Beginner

ChevyFreak- thanks for the advice. I have researched used OEM systems and think I may go that route. Are they hard to replace?

73Shark- Thanks for your reply but unfortunately I do not have it covered under any warranty.
Old October 19th, 2011, 8:09 PM
Administrator

Received 154 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by 05Lorain
ChevyFreak- thanks for the advice. I have researched used OEM systems and think I may go that route. Are they hard to replace?

73Shark- Thanks for your reply but unfortunately I do not have it covered under any warranty.
If you are replacing w/ a like OEM unit, then it's very easy.

Might drop it down and see if one of the connectors is loose, dirty, etc.
Old October 20th, 2011, 7:37 PM
CF Active Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 73shark
If you are replacing w/ a like OEM unit, then it's very easy.

Might drop it down and see if one of the connectors is loose, dirty, etc.
I agree!

It should be an easy fix. Essentially, you just pop the old one out, and put the new one in. Checking the connectors first is always a good idea just in case the issue is a loose connection.

Either way, replacing your current unit with one just like it should not be that hard to do.
Old November 5th, 2011, 4:01 AM
CF Beginner

Why not to get a new one, now it is cheaper to get changed this device, I have got three car DVD player till now. Good recommended Justcardvd.com
Old November 21st, 2011, 10:33 AM
CF Beginner

Took the old one out and checked and cleaned all the connectors. Still have no power, although it still accepts and ejects a DVD but does not power on, so it looks like I have to get a replacement.

Thanks for everyone's help.