Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Plugs & Wires

Search this Thread

Old September 24th, 2016, 6:18 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Plugs & Wires

2001 Suburban LS, 5.3 Vortec....241,000 miles

OK...before the bashing begins...the original plugs and wires are still in the thing and I'd like to replace them. Will there be any trick to removing the wires cleanly considering the heatshield hides most of the boot? Is there still a conductive silicone to install the new ones? I thought I read somewhere they "snap" into place. Well that's just great but how does that impact removing the old ones? As for the plugs themselves being in there nearly 16 years, what are the odds they come out without damage? I really don't want the nightmare of plugs breaking during removal and definitely don't want anything falling into the cylinder otherwise it's all over. This is also the first V-8 I have done since doing my '72 Plymouth and the back 4 cylinders look like they will be a trick to access...is there a special tool worth having to do the work?

The vehicle has been very reliable and still has the factory alternator and it works perfectly.

Tips, pointers, suggestions?
Old September 25th, 2016, 7:37 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

A breaker bar and several u-joints for your sockets are all you should need. Just make sure the socket is firmly seated on the plug before you start torquing on it.

IIRC, the passenger side plug up against the firewall is the biggest PITA. Last time I changed the plugs on my '01 was 10 years ago.

Pulling the heat shields/boots does require some effort.