Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Power Folding Mirrors/Homelink Question

Search this Thread

Old February 15th, 2007, 1:19 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power Folding Mirrors/Homelink Question

My Z71 has the power folding mirror option. I use this when pulling the car into the garage. Is there any way to get the mirrors to fold when I press the garage door button on the overhead console?

Just was wondering if anyone new of a hack to do this.

Thanks
Old February 15th, 2007, 1:27 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Power Folding Mirrors/Homelink Question

i belive home link is a self contained system. it's not connected to anything but a wireless transmitter (and power of course). if you actually went in and hard-wired it to another existing system (like your mirrors) then i guess it would be possible.
OR the opposite way would be to create a connection by putting a wireless reciever on the mirrors.
Old February 15th, 2007, 2:23 AM
CF Beginner

Thanks for the suggestion.

I found a web-site that sells RF receiver boards that will trip a relay. It is even designed for auto applications.

Now all I have to do is figure out the wiring for the button that folds the mirrors and I should be able to trip it when I press my garage door opener.

Old February 15th, 2007, 11:26 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Are you sure you really want to do that on the same button as the garage door? How will your mirrors know whether you are opening or closing the door or entering or leaving? You may end up opening the mirrors while inside the garage opening the door to leave. Seems to me they really need to be separately controlled.
Old February 15th, 2007, 11:49 AM
CF Active Member

[quote]ORIGINAL: rhoadsc

My Z71 has the power folding mirror option. I use this when pulling the car into the garage. Is there any way to get the mirrors to fold when I press the garage door button on the overhead console?

Just was wondering if anyone new of a hack to do this.

Thanks

Depending on the switch architecture in the overhead console and DDS (are they simple mechanical contacts or opto-electric or magnetic) if they are simply mechanical normally open contacts you could hard wire them together, but then pressing either switch wouldcause the mirrors to fold AND xmit a door open/close signal. If Opto/Mag switches then this would not work.

If you mean software hack, you'd have to be a GM engineer with access to the source code for the various affected modules in the vehicle. But like jojokealoha stated earlier, I do not expect that the homelink module is even connected to the GM lan (the DDS is).
Old February 15th, 2007, 2:01 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I cant blame you for trying to reinvent the wheel, but the folding mirror button is actually in a pretty good spot already. If you figure something out post some pictures. I am always open to different ideas.
Old February 15th, 2007, 10:14 PM
CF Beginner

Yes I really want to do this.

1.) I always pull head into my garage.
2.) When leaving I always open the garage door from the wall switch. Otherwise I can't get in the truck.

Anyone know where I can get wiring schematics for 2006 Tahoe. I am assuming factory server manual.

Thanks
Old February 15th, 2007, 10:20 PM
CF Active Member

ORIGINAL: rhoadsc

Yes I really want to do this.

1.) I always pull head into my garage.
2.) When leaving I always open the garage door from the wall switch. Otherwise I can't get in the truck.

Anyone know where I can get wiring schematics for 2006 Tahoe. I am assuming factory server manual.

Thanks
go to http://helminc.com/helm/homepage.asp?r=

2006 manuals should be available.....
Old June 11th, 2007, 12:51 AM
CF Beginner

Did you get this figured out? I just want to get the newer folding mirrors to work on my 99 Silverado. I already had power mirrors, but am trying to add the newer mirrors to get the folding option and the dimming.
Old August 18th, 2007, 8:20 PM
CF Beginner

If you turn to the United States Patent and Trademark Office, website (www.uspto.gov) you will find an interesting Patent. U.S. Patent #7,224,265 addresses this very issue. Please ask GM to incorporate this option! I have been ever since I became aware of it!