Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Power Lift Gate

Search this Thread

Old July 1st, 2008, 4:57 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power Lift Gate

I have a stupid project that I need help on. A wonderful family member of mine bought a 2008 Suburban that did not have the power lift gate option. His wife has decided she doesn't want the car unless it has the power lift gate. Has anyone out there had this done or have any ideas on how to get it done. I will do aftermarket or whatever. I went to the factory and they won't allow a dealer to touch it because it is too complicated and could freeze the system? So the dealer can't help. I really appreciate all of your help on this.
Old July 1st, 2008, 9:21 PM
Administrator

Received 155 Likes on 153 Posts
Default RE: Power Lift Gate

Welcome to the Tahoe forum. A former poster answered this question before and I'll paraphrase from memory (you can try searching for his original answer). Basically anything can be done, it's just a matter of how much money you want to spend. He did say it would be difficult to do.
Old July 2nd, 2008, 11:41 AM
CF Junior Member

ORIGINAL: 73shark

Welcome to the Tahoe forum. A former poster answered this question before and I'll paraphrase from memory (you can try searching for his original answer). Basically anything can be done, it's just a matter of how much money you want to spend. He did say it would be difficult to do.
I remember the thread also. They also said some thing like youe better off selling it and buying a new one with the power gate.
Old July 2nd, 2008, 4:09 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks for the help. That was my assumption too. I mean, it is a great feature, but I could live without it in a heartbeat. Some people are just too picky.
Old July 4th, 2008, 11:06 AM
CF Senior Member

He could always save the cash and trade the wife in?
Old July 4th, 2008, 1:31 PM
CF Beginner

Very true, but he is definitely the lucky one. She is paying for the rest of her life for marrying an A**hole like him.
Old July 5th, 2008, 12:48 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wonder if the shocks can be changed with stronger spring loaded ones. At least openning the tailgate will be automatic.
Old July 5th, 2008, 6:52 AM
CF Senior Member

Yeah but closing it would be a bitch.
Old July 6th, 2008, 12:46 PM
CF Active Member

this type of mode is made evry day in the custom car audio world every day. you are basiclallllly adding a power actuator to open youre door. first off you neeed to search for reputable car audio shops that do custom installations. or even a shop that specializes in customizing cars. its will be expensive but it is very,very posiiible. you might want to start looking to see how much the delaer ships sellls the actuator for? also the side pannel. there is also another place that sellll this type of actuator.the site is thehoffmangroup.com got to that site and then select products then linear actuators. hope this helpedd.
Old July 7th, 2008, 11:39 AM
CF Junior Member

Is she sure she wants the power liftgate? Because I had a minivan before with a power liftgate. Bad things can happen if you are in the wrong place and happen to hit the "open" button -either on the key fob or inside the car. Add kids screwing around inside the car and...well, it's not pretty. I do miss my power liftgate especially when it is raining and I am at the grocery store. But I don't miss worrying about it getting opened at THE WRONG TIME IN THE WRONG PLACEewwww[]

Quick Reply: Power Lift Gate