Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Power Liftgate is Posessed!

Search this Thread

Old December 21st, 2006, 2:44 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power Liftgate is Posessed!

My wife came home the other day and the rear power liftgate was wide open in the driveway and I never left it open. All of a sudden the button in the rear has been mostly not working. I say mostly because there has been a time or two in the last 3 days that it has worked. Same with the rear tail release. I was in the garage today and the gate just started to open then close. The keys were in the ignition so I couldn't have touched it. Any ideas what's going on. I would take it to the dealer but with the holidays and all the parties scheduled I have no time right now. The inside switch and the remotehave not seemed to have an issue and have worked everytime.

BTW, I know I spelled possessed wrong. I'm typing faster than the brain again.
Old December 22nd, 2006, 12:07 AM
Administrator

Received 155 Likes on 153 Posts
Default RE: Power Liftgate is Posessed!

I just discovered that the rear gate switch above the rear view mirror will lock it out including the remote. Might try that. Or if all else fails, who you gonna call?

Merry Christmas.
Old December 23rd, 2006, 4:13 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I was going to say the same thing. I had some trouble getting mine to work and then it went off on it's own. My front switch was stuck in between settings.I pressed the front switch and it opened.. then it worked as normal.
Old December 23rd, 2006, 4:29 PM
CF Senior Member

No, it's definitely not a switch issue. That was the first thing I thought of. The switch and the keychain open the door fine. The rear switch no longer closes and opening from the outside works sporadically. I have an appointment at the dealer on Wednesday. I'll let ya know what they find out.
Old December 27th, 2006, 8:51 PM
CF Senior Member

Dealer found the issue. The rear switch is bad. The contacts were too close together. They spread them apartuntil they can getme a new switch Friday. Thank god it's no big deal.
Old December 28th, 2006, 1:11 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

When you say the rear switch, do you mean the one on the bottom inside used to close the gate once opened or the the one on the outside handle used to open the gate?

I'm guessing you mean the "close" button -based on your previous post.
Old December 28th, 2006, 8:07 PM
CF Senior Member

The switch located in the tailgate is where they found the problem. I'm not too confident they found the problem though since it was working when I dropped it off and they said they temporarilt fixed it but it's still doing the same thing.Stupid thing works intermittently for 5 days and decides to work the day I bring it in. Sheesh.
Old December 29th, 2006, 12:04 PM
CF Junior Member

You haven't heard of the "Dealer Mode" all new vehicles go into within a 2 mile radious of the dealer? Why do you think they are perfect on the lot and on test drives?
Old January 7th, 2007, 3:23 PM
CF Senior Member

My suspicions have proven correct. The problem still exists. The Tahoe even tried to eat me the other day at Home Depot. The gate was open and I was loading it. The gate then came down and tried to chew on me. Of course I was too big so after trying real hard (thought it would reverse immediately and not clamp down hard) it reversed and gave up it's futile effort. Back to the dealer tomorrow.
Old January 9th, 2007, 4:57 PM
CF Senior Member

New Findings

I took the Tahoe into the dealer again today to try and trace this problem again. Luck was on my side today though. The tailgate did not function for the tech and he was even able to get a code off the computer. Apparently this has been happening for some other Tahoe's too. He showed me a GM bulletin which stated that GM was investigating this problem and no repairs should be attempted at this time. The tech called the Tech hotline that GM has and is working with them on it. My tech was apparently able to help GM with this problem based on things happening with my Tahoe. The service manager asked if I could just hold off for a little while until they figure out what's going on. Both him and the tech were great and I told them the tailgate has yet to open on it's own when the vehicle was locked. That helped them a little more. He promised he would keep me up to date on what was going on. These service guys are great to me. It may not be fixed but they are doing everything they can do right now. I'm a patient man.

Ya know, when you buy an SUV that's equipped with so many computer systems you just have to expect some glitches. Especially when it's an early model. Thanks Ray Chevrolet for treating me good!