Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Question about replacing throttle body.

Search this Thread

Old January 6th, 2012, 3:11 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about replacing throttle body.

A few weeks ago I posted regarding a surge in RPMs that I am getting when cruising along at 35-45 mph. I am going to replace the throttle body and see if that clears up the issue. The vehicle is a 2008 Suburban LTZ with 60k miles so I am sure the throttle body could use a good cleaning anyway but since the TPS is a part of the throttle body I figured I'd just replace the whole thing.

My question is, has anyone done this and what is involved with removing the air intake system and the throttle body itself. I am mechanically inclined and have all the tools but have never messed with the throttle body. I have read that I need to disconnect the negative battery terminal so that the PCM can relearn the correct idle. Is that all that is necessary or will this also require a scan tool or reflash by the dealer to accomodate the new throttle body. No DTC codes have been thrown and that is why I haven't taken it to the dealer yet. My experience with them in the past is that they only know how to fix vehicles if a code has been thrown and a TSB is published for the issue. They are not very good at figuring things out on their own and I'm not going to leave the car there for 2 days only to be told that everything is operating normally. (Enough of that rant for now!) The new throttle body was $83 and if I can fix it by myself for that price I would prefer not to take it to the dealer.

I ordered a new throttle body and gasket from RockAuto and it will be here tomorrow and I plan to tackle the job then. Any tips will be appreciated.

Thanks,
StormH2Oguy
Old January 6th, 2012, 7:01 PM
Administrator

Received 155 Likes on 153 Posts

Not sure what led you to a throttle body replacement on a relatively new truck but a thorough cleaning should take care of it.

As far as the surging goes, I'd check for vacuum leaks.