Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Question - Locking Gas Cap

Search this Thread

Old May 29th, 2008, 6:00 PM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question - Locking Gas Cap

With gas prices continuing to rise, anyone using a locking gas cap? If so which one are you using and have you had any issues with it?
Old May 29th, 2008, 7:34 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Question - Locking Gas Cap

I am thinking of getting one
Old May 29th, 2008, 8:43 PM
Administrator

Received 155 Likes on 153 Posts

Heard a report on news last nite of thieves punching a hole in your tank and getting it that way if you got a locking cap. Personally I'd druther just let them siphon and not ruin my tank.

Also a guy was parking a large trailer over the tanks at a station and going thru a false bottom and pumping the gas into a tank in the trailer.
Old May 29th, 2008, 8:56 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

AAHTahoe: I think Stant is the only brand I have really ever heard of, I have used them in the past and did put one on my 97 Tahoe when gas started going up thou I have not put one on my 07...yet... shark may have a point...

73shark: i remember that happing not to long ago, then he was reselling it to his neigbors...

It has been my exp on the last few GM vehicles I have worked on is that you can't siphon the gas from the filler as they all have anti-siphon blocks, so a locking gas cap will only prevent someone from putting anything into your tank not really taking anything out.
Old May 30th, 2008, 12:46 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I installed Stant on day 1. They had 3 plastic models for Tahoe (besides metal ones which I did not look at). One was a regular, then a locking version (which I got), and last one locking with some sort of pressure release. No issues. Except I have to mention: When I open the gas cap I do not hear gas pressure release. Now since I installed this at day 1 I bought the Tahoe I do not know if it is natural or not. On the other hand if the gas cap be loose then the check engine light will come on which it never did. So I say yes, it is a good product. I would stay away from metal ones. If the metal gas cap locking mechanism break, then you have to saw the tip of gas inlet in order to take it out.