Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Radio going crazy!

Search this Thread

Old September 20th, 2011, 8:54 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radio going crazy!

I have a 2007 Suburban. Late last week the radio started acting odd. The lights on the display would dim slightly and then be back at normal strength. There was no sound when the lights were dim, and normal sound when the display was at normal strength. IT would flicker "on and off" about once a second, then would be ok for a while then start again. It first did this when the truck was parked,(not moving the road). Driving down the road doesn't seem to affect what it is doing at all(I first thought maybe a loose connection????)
Since then the problem has worsened to the point where the radio shuts off by itself, and when on, "flashes" constantly (when lights off-no sound, when lights on -there is sound). The C/D is affected as well. I also noticed this weekend when there were still some periods where the radio worked normally, that when it was acting up-flickering on and off-, the turn signal would be visible but there was no audible "tic-tic" like there is under normal conditions. In other words, you couldn't hear the turn signal when the radio was flickering, but could hear them when it was behaving. THe turn signal lights on the outside of the truck are working normally, just no audible click when they are flashing.
Found this TSB in the list 07-08-44-008, wonder if anyone could give me more info on this TSB and where to find this amp connector it describes

Anyone had this "ghost in the machine" before?
Any ideas welcome.
Mike

Last edited by doktrred; September 20th, 2011 at 10:40 AM. Reason: adding mor info
Old September 20th, 2011, 8:11 PM
CF Active Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Have you checked, and possibly replaced the audio system fuse? I don't know much about TSB's - other members can help you there, but the fuse would be my first stop. Then, a battery disconnect. That will allow the entire system to reset. If the problems persist maybe a trip to the dealer may be in order.

Sorry I can't be of more help, but these are things I would try first. Then go from there. Good luck!!
Old September 20th, 2011, 11:59 PM
Administrator

Received 155 Likes on 153 Posts

Welcome to the forum.

Might try disconnecting battery for ten to 20 minutes.
Old September 21st, 2011, 7:27 AM
CF Beginner

Thanks, I will try that today and let y'all know
Mike
Old September 21st, 2011, 12:24 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> Mike,
Welcome to the forum! I am glad that these two were able to give you some ideas. Let us know how it goes after you try these options.
Breanne
Chevrolet Customer Service
Old September 21st, 2011, 12:39 PM
CF Beginner

No luck with the above fixes. I found this TSB and wondered if anyone could give me some more info on where these components are located and how big a project it would be to try and see if this is the problem......

Sorry to hear the problems but this might help:

Document ID# 1962625

Subject:No Audio/No Sound Heard from Radio Speakers, Turn Signals, Hazard Signals and No Warning Chimes When a Door or Liftgate is Opened (Inspect/Seat C2 Audio Amplifier Connector) #07-08-44-008 - (04/18/2007)
Models: 2007 Cadillac Escalade, Escalade ESV, Escalade EXT

2007 Chevrolet Avalanche, Silverado, Suburban, Tahoe

2007 GMC Sierra, Yukon, Yukon XL, Yukon Denali, Yukon Denali XL

with Speakers, Premium Audio w/Amplifier or Rear Stereo Audio (RPOs UQA, UQS or UK6)

Condition
Some customers may comment on one or all of the following conditions related to no audio/no sound:

• No sound from one or more of the radio speakers.
• No blinking sound heard form the turn signals or hazard signals when on.
• No audio warning chimes heard when a door or liftgate is opened.

Cause
The C2 Audio Amplifier Connector may become unseated at the amplifier.

Correction
Inspect/Seat the C2 Audio Amplifier Connector (16-way, Black Connector).

1. Remove the radio, amplifier, and SIR fuses located in the Underhood Bussed Electrical Center (BEC).
  2. Gain access to the radio speaker amplifier. Refer to Radio Speaker Amplifier Replacement in SI.

3. Visually inspect and pull on the C2 Audio Amplifier Connector (1).
  4. If the connector is properly seated, then refer to SI for further diagnosis based on the customers condition.
  5. If the connector is loose, then reinstall the C2 Audio Amplifier Connector.Important: Verify the connector is seated and locked into place.
  6. Install the fuses.
  7. Verify the condition has been fixed and clear any DTCs.
  8. If securing the connector does not correct the condition, refer to SI for further diagnosis and repair.
  9. Install the radio speaker amplifier assembly and any other components removed to gain access to the amplifier. Refer to Radio Speaker Amplifier Replacement in SI.

Warranty Information
For vehicles repaired under warranty, use:

Labor Operation

Description

Labor Time

R9734*

Connector, C2 Audio Amplifier - Inspect/Seat

0.7 hr

*This labor operation is for bulletin use only. The number will not be published in the Labor Time Guide.

Last edited by doktrred; September 21st, 2011 at 12:42 PM. Reason: wrong info
Old September 23rd, 2011, 8:06 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Radio

<table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="6" width="100%"><tbody><tr><td class="alt2"></td> <td nowrap="nowrap"> shawnvw
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic
</td> <td width="100%"> </td> <td nowrap="nowrap" valign="top"> Join Date: Jan 2008

</td> </tr> </tbody></table>
<hr style="color:#000000; background-color:#000000" size="1"> Try this from a previous post

Pull the radio out, unplug the conectors, and re-wire the power and ground to the radio. It should be red\white for (+) and a black driectly below it for (-). Attach a pair of wires to the connectors,(I use speaker wire) and run them down to the BCM, which is on the passenger side of the center console. Just pull the panel off, and then take off the 3 7mm bolts holding the white plastic thing on.
Put a 15amp fuse on the (+), and attach it to one of the big red wires at the BCM. There are 3 of them there, red\blk, red\wht, and I think just a red one. Any one will do.
For the ground, put a ring terminal on the wire and use a self tapping screw (shown below), and blast it into the bare metal below the bcm. That should fix your problem.
I have done about 5 of these in the last year and have yet to see one come back
Old September 26th, 2011, 8:00 AM
CF Beginner

Thanks for the last reply, could you post a link to that thread , so I can get more info, like what exactly did he think was wrong.
I will try and search for that thread as well.
Thanks again
Mike
Old September 27th, 2011, 4:10 AM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default radio

try this link

https://chevroletforum.com/forum/cob...t-radio-21087/
Old September 27th, 2011, 9:12 AM
CF Beginner

Thanks, I don't know if that persons probs. were the same as mine but will keep this fix in mind, especially if other "fixes " don't work.

The wife took the truck to dealer yesterday and I sent the TSB I found with her. They told her there was a bad sensor in the radio and we need to replace the radio. I haven't had the time to talk to the service techs yet, so don't know if they even checked the audio amp connector as described in the TSB.
Can someone tell me where the audio amp is located and how to get to it if they didn't check it out? '07 suburban 5.3 L, don't know the radio codes as I am at work, but have the basic radio and CD changer.
Thanks
Mike

Quick Reply: Radio going crazy!