Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Radio switches channels by itself

Old April 18th, 2007, 1:18 AM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Radio switches channels by itself

The radio in my '07 Tahoe occassionally changes radio stations by itself. I have the XM/6-disc,in-dash CD, non-nav radio. I'll just be driving along and it will switch -- sometimes from XM channel to AM, FM to another FM, or whatever. There doesn't seem to bea pattern, but it does seem to only go from pre-programmed channel to another pre-programmed channel. Dealer couldn't repro the problem, so they haven't a clue how to fix it. Has anyone else had this problem?
The following users liked this post:
Kim Eades (January 15th, 2023)
Old April 18th, 2007, 1:43 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Radio switches channels by itself

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but any chance your hitting the switches on the steering wheel?
Old April 18th, 2007, 2:23 AM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Jon07LT3

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but any chance your hitting the switches on the steering wheel?
I was going to say the same thing. Sounds like a very strange problem
Old April 18th, 2007, 11:16 AM
CF Senior Member

ORIGINAL: Jon07LT3

That would be my guess.
Old April 18th, 2007, 1:35 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Someone else on here had the same problem. I remember asking them to tell the dealer to look at wheel controls because it does what is indicated and no other button does.
Seems to me they found the problem and it WASN"t the wheel. It was in the head unit. I'll search and see if I can find anything.
Old April 18th, 2007, 1:43 PM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Have you dealer update the software of your radio with the latest calibration.
Reference GM Document ID# 1868749

Old April 19th, 2007, 1:01 AM
CF Beginner

ORIGINAL: ZX1100F1
Have you dealer update the software of your radio with the latest calibration.
Reference GM Document ID# 1868749
That was going to be my second guess. Obviously you have us at a disadvantage!
Old February 10th, 2021, 2:31 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by haidangwa
The radio in my '07 Tahoe occassionally changes radio stations by itself. I have the XM/6-disc,in-dash CD, non-nav radio. I'll just be driving along and it will switch -- sometimes from XM channel to AM, FM to another FM, or whatever. There doesn't seem to bea pattern, but it does seem to only go from pre-programmed channel to another pre-programmed channel. Dealer couldn't repro the problem, so they haven't a clue how to fix it. Has anyone else had this problem?
Has this been resolved? my truck just started this on Saturday.
Old July 28th, 2021, 12:21 PM
CF Beginner

Default Me, too

Originally Posted by Kimmy Rogers
Has this been resolved? my truck just started this on Saturday.
And my 2016 Colorado just started doing this two days ago.
Old July 29th, 2021, 6:37 PM
CF Active Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by haidangwa
Look for a reset. Radios can have settings to change to between various pre-programmed channels "regularly" and "get stuck with bad mode data". Unplug the power for 30 seconds plug it back in. Go through your Xm programming guide. Make sure all settings are default after you reset. Ie - i'd like to see all pre-programmed channels are forgotten. If they are not - you may have a battery to remove (and when you remove it - why not replace it with a new one?)

Radio are supposed to change channels if the channel signal is weak. Most radios have automatic seeking tuning even home clock radios. (technically, it can also mean one radio broadcaster is broadcasting too close to another, which makes flipping more prevailant). They aren't supposed to change from AM to FM.

Do you have a radio remote for that model? If there is a remote control involved - that would be fun.

You might check your antenna if you have one. Don't ask why (story): but there is a high pressure spring connector that connects the antenna wire to the radio connector. Those sometimes go bad giving you poor reception which might cause channel flipping.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Radio switches channels by itself