Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Really Bad Gas Mileage

Search this Thread

Old May 24th, 2008, 10:26 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Really Bad Gas Mileage

I got a brand new 08 Tahoe and now it got about 1300 miles and i am getting really bad gas mileage, i am getting about 10.6 MPG. Why is that?[/align][/align]
Old May 24th, 2008, 10:48 AM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts
Default RE: Really Bad Gas Mileage

Waht do you consider bad MPG? if your getting an avearge of 15 mpg you're probalby doing good if you have the Hybrid then I would think you should be getting intot he 20's in the city ZX says he was getting 25mpg with his Hybrid...

where do you live?

what gas are you using gas/E85 ?

How do you drive and are you towing?

Altitude and drivng conditions can affect milage

E85 gets way poor gas milage

Drive a new truck like a race car and getting off the line first in a new truck will kill the MPG, I have had my 07 for 7 months now with 7600 miles and still have never gotten less than 16.5 avg MPG. I keep the tach under 2k on all accelerations and that seems to really help.
Old May 24th, 2008, 11:09 AM
CF Active Member

Reset your gallons/liters used, average fuel economy, and trip odometer after the next fill up. Track your mpg for a couple of weeks to see if mpg is really that low. Most of my driving is highway and despite myheavy foot I get 19.1.

But as in2pro pointed out, there can be lots of reasons for the low mpg. Don't forget to check the obvious to makesure your air cleaner is not clogged.

Old May 24th, 2008, 3:01 PM
CF Beginner

ORIGINAL: in2pro

Waht do you consider bad MPG? if your getting an avearge of 15 mpg you're probalby doing good if you have the Hybrid then I would think you should be getting intot he 20's in the city ZX says he was getting 25mpg with his Hybrid...

where do you live?

what gas are you using gas/E85 ?

How do you drive and are you towing?

Altitude and drivng conditions can affect milage

E85 gets way poor gas milage

Drive a new truck like a race car and getting off the line first in a new truck will kill the MPG, I have had my 07 for 7 months now with 7600 miles and still have never gotten less than 16.5 avg MPG. I keep the tach under 2k on all accelerations and that seems to really help.
My average is in the 10s never went over 10 and no i don't have a hybrid.

I live an Saudi Arabia so we don't have E85, 91 and 95 is allwe got.

Altitude is right at sea level , not towing and driving condition is normal no heavy foot or WOT runs at all.
Old May 24th, 2008, 3:04 PM
CF Beginner

ORIGINAL: mary900

Reset your gallons/liters used, average fuel economy, and trip odometer after the next fill up. Track your mpg for a couple of weeks to see if mpg is really that low. Most of my driving is highway and despite myheavy foot I get 19.1.

But as in2pro pointed out, there can be lots of reasons for the low mpg. Don't forget to check the obvious to makesure your air cleaner is not clogged.

I would sure do that, thanks.
Old May 24th, 2008, 8:39 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

Also alot of short trips and lots of stop and go will kill your MPG, as mary900 pointed out that she drives highways miles and gets 19+ which is what I get when on a trip of at least 50 miles or more but short city driving of 5-10 miles will yield poor milage.
Old May 25th, 2008, 2:28 AM
CF Beginner

ORIGINAL: in2pro

Also alot of short trips and lots of stop and go will kill your MPG, as mary900 pointed out that she drives highways miles and gets 19+ which is what I get when on a trip of at least 50 miles or more but short city driving of 5-10 miles will yield poor milage.
OK i get it now, we have allot of speed bumps here so it's allot of stop an go. I thinkthat's the main reason behind the poor gas millage. Don't you think so?
Old May 27th, 2008, 12:07 AM
LTZ
CF Beginner

I'm getting around 15 mpg using 87-89 octane. This is in 2wd. 1,700 miles on my clock.
Old May 27th, 2008, 6:49 AM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Baltimore south on I-95 past South Of The Border on ONE tank with the cruise locked on 65mph. I set the DIC so I could see when it went from 8 cylinders to 4 and it was amazing. On the flat straight-aways, it stayed in V4 for a very long time and, according to the DIC, I was getting over30 mpg at some points
Old May 27th, 2008, 10:32 PM
Administrator

Received 155 Likes on 153 Posts

Do you have 4.10 gears? I have 3.73s and get 18 @ 65.

Quick Reply: Really Bad Gas Mileage