Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900
Old July 22nd, 2015, 2:44 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Wheels and Tire
Print Wikipost

Rear axle ratio, need some advice.

Search this Thread

Old February 1st, 2008, 4:58 PM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Rear axle ratio, need some advice.

It will do the job and is rated to do the job.
Question is:
Will you be happy with it knowing that it's a 3.42?
You obviously have a mindset against it and that can effect a person's overall satisfaction more then anything.
Old February 2nd, 2008, 7:35 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The 3.73 would be a good compromise between fuel economy and towing. If you plan on installing larger tires later on, the 4.10 might be a better choice.
Old February 3rd, 2008, 2:26 PM
CF Beginner

I think I'm going to be able to locate a 3.73 after all. So even if it doesn't make that much of a difference, at least my mind will be at ease. =)

Are there any dealer contacts on this forum? I'm just curious if my dealer is giving me correct information. My dealer said there was not a tahoe that matched my specs that he could get within 400 miles. I checked all the other local chevy dealers and there were none. But I spoke with a dealership that is 90 miles away and they said there were at least 5 out there that matched and that he could get.

Is my dealer just being lazy? He's been pretty helpful to this point and even loaned me a tahoe for the weekend to test drive it.
Old February 3rd, 2008, 2:33 PM
Administrator

Received 155 Likes on 153 Posts

My experience was that the dealer has access to every other dealer's inventory. He can put in your req'ts and it'll show if and where any are that meet the order.
Old February 4th, 2008, 12:49 PM
CF Addict

Dealers can do locates and if they find what you want in many cases they can get the vehicle from another dealership's lot.
The downside to doing this (for the dealer) is they normally do not get the 3% holdback money on a vehicle they get from another dealer, the ordering dealer keeps this, and there can be an additional cost to ship or send a driver to get the unit, this makes many dealers less then excited to run locates.

Another thing that many people forget is you can custom order a Tahoe, in many cases it will come in within about 4 weeks after the order is placed.
Old February 4th, 2008, 1:29 PM
CF Active Member

Default RE: Rear axle ratio, need some advice

ORIGINAL: ZX1100F1

Not pulling it averages 18-19 at 80mph over the highway and about 16 city.

Dave
I have 3.73 gears and I only manage to get 14 mpg on the highway over 70! And i only get 11-12 mpg in the city.

I understand that 4.10 gears help out a little but not 4-5 mpg. Could there be any problems im having??
Old February 5th, 2008, 3:20 AM
CF Beginner

Dealers can do locates and if they find what you want in many cases they can get the vehicle from another dealership's lot.
The downside to doing this (for the dealer) is they normally do not get the 3% holdback money on a vehicle they get from another dealer, the ordering dealer keeps this, and there can be an additional cost to ship or send a driver to get the unit, this makes many dealers less then excited to run locates.

Another thing that many people forget is you can custom order a Tahoe, in many cases it will come in within about 4 weeks after the order is placed.
So in this case it might be easier and I could potentially get a better deal if I dealt with the dealer that had the vehicle directly, no? I don't mind going to get the vehicle, but I have no idea how to determine which dealer it is at. I doubt my friendly local dealer will give me that information.
Old February 5th, 2008, 8:39 AM
CF Addict

No they won't and you can't blame them, they've done all the legwork.
Old February 5th, 2008, 10:01 AM
CF Beginner

No they won't and you can't blame them, they've done all the legwork.
More link "finger" work thanks to the computer database. [sm=pcwhack.gif]

4 weeks isn't all that much to wait to order one. But that would put me into March and I think the bonus cash ends 3/03. I've already lost out on the GM loyalty money which ended 1/31. My dealer said they normally do something for March Madness, but I'm not sure what.
Old February 6th, 2008, 1:13 AM
CF Beginner

ZX,
Lol I would also like to know about your gas mileage as I getabout what GMz71 is getting. You have any other toys on that rig that are helping out? Way I figure, you either have to have something else going or you have blue hair... Just teasin.

Quick Reply: Rear axle ratio, need some advice.