Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Rear break size?

Search this Thread

Old October 3rd, 2011, 4:18 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear break size?

I need to change my rear breakshoes on my Tahoe -96 but my dealer dont know what size it is on my car. Is it some sticker or id plate somewhere that tells me if i have 10" or 11" rear drumbreaks? Or do i need to take them apart and meassure it?
Tahoe 1500 5,7L 4wd -96 VIN: 1GNEK13R9TJ392112
Old October 3rd, 2011, 7:11 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm not sure what the problem is with your dealership's parts counter (plain lazy, busy, or new trainee?) but punch your VIN into Comprehensive Chevrolet, Saturn, GMC, Hummer, Cadillac, Buick, Oldsmobile, Pontiac, Geo, Dodge, Plymouth, Jeep, Chrysler, Ford, Lincoln, Mercury, Mazda Truck, Mercedes VIN Decoder and then look for the RPO code JB5 or JB6:

For JB5, it's 10 x 2.25"
For JB6, 11.15 x 2.75"
Old October 4th, 2011, 7:42 AM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default brakes?

I have no idea what these breaks are you are talking about, but they sound serious. Perhaps you need to weld or rivet the parts that are broken...
Old October 4th, 2011, 10:04 AM
CF Junior Member

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by EinST
I'm not sure what the problem is with your dealership's parts counter (plain lazy, busy, or new trainee?) but punch your VIN into Comprehensive Chevrolet, Saturn, GMC, Hummer, Cadillac, Buick, Oldsmobile, Pontiac, Geo, Dodge, Plymouth, Jeep, Chrysler, Ford, Lincoln, Mercury, Mazda Truck, Mercedes VIN Decoder and then look for the RPO code JB5 or JB6:

For JB5, it's 10 x 2.25"
For JB6, 11.15 x 2.75"
Tnx just what i needed. The dealer is not an Chevy dealer so maybe he dont know how to se it on the VIN.
Use to order my parts from U.S with no problem they send the right parts by VIN but just new brakeshoes is to expensive in fraight and had not time to wait until i need som more parts.
Old October 4th, 2011, 2:32 PM
Super Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

V70, it really wouldn't be all that much trouble, to pull a rear wheel, and measure it ! Assuming you could access a Tape Measure that was in inches, or do a conversion to inches.
Just to be sure.
Old October 4th, 2011, 3:07 PM
CF Junior Member

If i had a hint that spareparts dealer here in Sweden cant find the right parts by VIN i should have measured it when i had it apart to check why right side dont get enough braking power
Old October 4th, 2011, 3:52 PM
Super Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

V70, HA, hindsight is worth a million dollars, or Krona's in your case !

I run into a similar situation frequently about available parts, in that I have worked on older/classic vehicles a lot.

I always recommend that the owner go ahead and purchase the part/brake shoes in your case, outright ! And DON'T give up your old parts ! And that goes for everything except Batteries and Tires, and sometimes I even recommend they hold on to the old Tires too.

This way, IF they're wrong when they come in, just send them back for the right stuff, and your vehicle is NOT down because of the mix up.

Additionally, if the parts are correct, just put them on, and take your time about getting the original shoes "re-lined", and then you have Spares ready to go if you need them in the future, and you WILL !

Now, you said something about having "uneven" breaking back there...
Usually, turning the Drums, replacing the Cylinder Cups and Shoes on both sides will resolve that, so...

Do you have access to a Shop, that can turn your Drums ?
Should you also order some new Cups and Springs for the Slave Cylinders ?
If the rear Breaks are weak, should you order parts for the Front NOW !?

HA, I'm just trying to think ahead for/with you

Last edited by SWHouston; October 4th, 2011 at 4:34 PM.
Old October 5th, 2011, 2:24 PM
CF Junior Member

I done the front breaks in june with new rotors and pads.
Got an oil leak fron rear axle due to an broken seal in to the right side breakdrum so thats the reason for uneven brake power i belive. Hope to get the seal,brakeshoes and assembly kit before the end of this week.
Old May 5th, 2014, 5:19 PM
CF Beginner

You also have code numbers in your glove compartment, mine is JB5 on my 96 k1500 pickup, = 10inch, its the only JB number on there, as EinSt suggested