Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Rear Main Seal Leaking

Search this Thread

Old September 24th, 2007, 11:35 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Main Seal Leaking

I have a 2007 Z-71 Tahoe which I just took to the dealership for its 2nd oil change. The mechanic asked that I go back to the shop where he showed me 2 oil stains next to the oil filter. He stated that Chevy has had issues with the rear seal and he highly recomended that I get this fixed ASAP. Has anyone had problem's or heard of this? My Tahoe only has 10,000 miles on it, and I understand that getting to the rear seal is quite an undertaking.
Old September 24th, 2007, 12:18 PM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Rear Main Seal Leaking

GM hasn't had an issue with rear mains leaking on the new Vortec V8 since its introduction in 1999, many of the first several thousand units built back then had a problem but the seal but it was quickly redesigned and the fix was implemented before very many people experienced any leaks.

If it were my Tahoe I would get a second opinion, replacing the rear main is a fairly large job that pays well and requires no pre-authorization or retainment of parts for GM warranty to pay; you may get my drift.
Old September 24th, 2007, 12:26 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Rear Main Seal Leaking

Thanks, that's what I was thinking. I have checked underneath the vehicle several times since Friday and have not found oil or stains on my driveway. The mechanic told me that the Silverado's and Corvettes were having problems as well.